Enda Dolan’s family are appealing the ‘disgustingly short’ sentence of his killer

Three and a half years is ‘unduly lenient’

31-year-old David Lee Stewart was recently sentenced to only three and a half years for killing 18-year-old Killyclogher lad, Enda Dolan, in October 2014, but the Public Prosecution Service is to refer the sentence to the Court of Appeal “on the ground that it is unduly lenient”.

Stewart had consumed at least six pints and four Jaegerbombs when he and his also intoxicated passenger, William Ross Casement (21), knocked the Tyrone student down as he was walking along the Malone Road to his student accommodation beside Queen’s University.

Not only is Stewart guilty of drunk driving, but the incident was also a hit and run. The pair only stopped driving after carrying the teenager on the van for 800 yards, then attempted to drive away before crashing again.

The pair had nine court hearings before pleading guilty in April of this year, and Casement has been set free with 50 hours of community service and two years on probation.

A statement from the PPS said Director of Public Prosecutions Barra McGrory had “exercised his powers under section 36 of the Criminal Justice Act 1988 (as amended by section 41 of the Justice (Northern Ireland) Act 2002”

Enda’s family have previously said they are “disgusted” with the sentences, adding: “The legal system in Northern Ireland is a disgrace and should be addressed.”