Five in court in relation to St. Paddy’s offences in the Holylands

Guys, we told you not to rock the boat

Five men have appeared in court on charges linked to St Patrick’s Day disorder in south Belfast – one of which is a 40-year-old man.

The court appearances were in relation to disturbances that broke out in the Holylands student area of the city last month, where large crowds of students and non-students alike gathered on the streets.

One police officer was injured after being pelted on the shoulder by a bottle in the early hours of March 17th.

Three of the defendants at Belfast Magistrates’ Court face charges linked to this disturbance on Agincourt Avenue.

County Fermanagh native Enda Tierney, 19, is accused of riotous behaviour at that location, whilst fellow Fermanagh native Luke Burns, 21, faces a charge of disorderly behaviour.

Ciaran McCloy, 20, from County Derry, is charged with assaulting two police officers, disorderly behaviour, resisting and obstructing police.

Two other men have also been charged over separate alleged incidents in the Holylands on St. Patrick’s Day.

Ciaran McConville, 22, is accused of disorderly behaviour close to his address on Carmel Street.

While 40-year-old Thomas Duffy, from the city’s Ormeau Road, also faces a charge of disorderly behaviour following an incident on Palestine Street.

All five defendants were released on continuing bail after being connected to the alleged offences.