Belfast busker ‘physically and racially abused’ in city centre

It happened today

A Belfast busker is reported to have been physically and racially abused at 10am in Belfast City Centre.

The “Vrumpolin” player – an instrument he made himself – is beloved by Belfast and was playing on Royal Avenue this morning when the incident took place.

Eyewitness Maryanne Fox told The Tab: “A woman who was so drunk she could barely stand started shoving the man and tried to forcefully steal the instrument from him and attempted to break it. He was flinching and backing away. It was basically allowed to happen. No one stopped to help this fellow.

“She started using racist language, and I heard her saying, ‘get away from Belfast’. The man began moving away, only to be followed by the inebriated woman down Royal Avenue, causing a scene and disturbing the peace.”

A photo from the incident taken this morning

Maryanne took to her Facebook page to share her disgust, posting: “Today I was in town around 10am when I was walking past this lovely guy who has been playing in the streets off Belfast probably before I was born. I was walking past & stopped as I couldn’t believe my eyes. This horrible woman (who was so drunk) she couldn’t barely stand, pushing this lovely fellow up the path trying to take his instrument off him and telling him she was going to break it and telling him to get away from Belfast also calling him filthy names. If he was a bother the police would off (sic) moved him, he is doing no harm. He’s doing what he enjoys.

“This lovely man was so shocked – he was actually going to do what she was telling him to do as he was scared, you could tell with the fear in his face. As we all know that “you know you’re in Belfast when you see this man playing.” I stopped to take a photo as to me – it looked as if it was due to discrimination and bullying. It’s the 21st century & 2016.. I didn’t know there still was discrimination to colour nowadays.

“Please everyone share this.. We love this guy playing tunes for us. Stop discrimination.”