Stop slabbering about Belfast Met, it’s a good college

The second you do is the second you’ve crossed the line

Let’s get something straight. Something that will strike a nerve deep inside you, and rock you to your core. Stop slabbering about Belfast Met. Enough’s enough, lads.

It’s a good college. And I’m not just talking about the education aspect, because whilst it’s still a great place to learn, no one really cares about that. But the college itself. The staff and the students who walk through its campuses every day, because those are the people you’re really insulting.

Soak it in

At the Met, there’s about 49,000 students. That’s roughly the same as Queens and UU put together, and the majority of them are great craic. If it wasn’t for some the people I studied with, I wouldn’t have discovered some of the music I listen to and the movies I watch. And I wouldn’t have made some of my proudest works. Did you know that a group of us in a Level 3 TV & Film class made a 5-ish minute film about kneecappings and won an RTSNI award? Well, we did. And that was all thanks to the Met.

The more I write about this, then soppier it becomes, but I really don’t care because the Met is one of the best things to come to Belfast. You know Eamonn Holmes? Well, he studied here. And Merlin. From the BBC.

And holy shit, everything is cheap as hell. How much are you paying for your degree? Oh, sorry, I couldn’t quite hear you there over the literal thousands of pounds I saved on my course. Like, seriously. It costs about £4000 to study an undergraduate degree at Queens. Whereas an HND only costs £2660 at the Met. That’s about £1300 saved. And not only that, but extra-curricular things are really, really cheap aswell. The BMC Formal only cost about £30 last year, which meant a lot more money for swall.

The societies here aren’t great, so I suppose yous have us beat there, but who needs societies when we can all go get steaming with the money we saved on our courses. Not to mention the actual campuses themselves. Millfield’s right in the centre of town, so you can dander down to Castlecourt for lunch, or Voodoo for post-class swall. Titanic Quarter is sleek as hell. It’s tall and built from glass and steel and looks like the coolest place ever. Not to mention the Dock Honesty Box cafe, which does the best “Cream of Flyin’ Chicken” soup you’ve ever had. With these mini loaves of bread. And wanna know how much it costs? Whatever you have to put in the Honesty Box.

I honestly haven’t put anything in the box

There’s also E3 which has an HD TV studio. And yes, it may be a dander from town, but who cares? It has some of the best facilities you’ll ever use. And Castlereagh Campus has free parking.

You know what, I’ll admit that sometimes I’ll slabber about BMC aswell. But that’s because I can. It’s like my family, and I can slabber about my family all I love, but the second you do is the second you’ve crossed the line. Belfast Met is great, and you should wise up and get back to slabbering about your roommate stealing your milk for the third time this week.