QUB researchers are proposing a new guideline for flag display in Northern Ireland

They can’t be considered intimidating

Queen’s researchers are proposing a set of new guidelines for the unofficial display of flags in Northern Ireland. 

The Institute of Irish Studies at QUB are looking into the new guideline based on a study of 1,421 residents in 11 council areas across Northern Ireland. The report will affect the unofficial flying of flags in outdoor spaces.

The proposed guidelines include limiting celebratory flag displays to being flown within two weeks around key dates. Consideration is to be given in residential areas, including those who are in a minority. Flags are not to be placed outside homes in any way that could be considered intimidating or threatening. Flags should not be placed outside hospitals, health centres, schools or community centres.

The Queen’s department has been researching the flags issues for ten years

On the Queen’s website, the department states: “To prevent or mitigate conflict, the utmost courtesy should be shown to those who might feel uncomfortable with flag display. Residents can reasonable expect to know who is putting the flags up and how long they will be displayed. This information should be communicated to the police, community leaders and advertised in the press.”

In the survey conducted by Lucid Talk polling agency, 70 per cent of people felt the issue of flags on public buildings was either important or very important, with just 18 per cent saying it wasn’t important. Seven out of 10 people polled want to see more regulation of flags in public spaces. 53 per cent of people support the flying of flags on Council buildings on 18 designated days.