Queen’s students protest Infrastrata drilling in Woodburn forest

Black gold

Several QUB students have joined a team of activists protesting oil drilling in Woodburn forest, north of Belfast.

The initial work for the drilling was set to begin this week, but as of yet the presence of activists has inhibited any activity from occurring.

Protesting the drilling

Infastrata, who have been given the go ahead by NI Waters to test for oil in the area, are expecting anything of up to 40 million barrels worth of oil beneath the surface. As of yet Infastrata do not have full development rights and are working under what is known as a “permitted development right”, meaning that full permissions are not necessary for initial work to take place.

Activists are opposed to the drilling as it is in close proximity of a reservoir, which provides water for over 130,000 people, and there are fears of pollution to the water supply.

Any drilling could lead to the destruction of acres of forest

PPE student Seán Fearon, 22, an avid activist and member of QUB Fossil Free said: “The whole project is a vicious attack on democracy, transparency and citizen’s rights. With no public consultation, no votes cast, no other opinions considered. NI Water, as our public service, is acting in the interests of Infrastrata to pave the way for the bulldozing of acres of forest, the construction of a 3km deep drill, and the injection of chemicals into the ground only 200m away from a reservoir that sustains over 130,000 people.

“The residents of this area know the land, they have a connection to it. They’ve farmed it, fished it and lived on it all their lives – yet a private corporation with the compliance of public institutions can illegally disfigure it in the pursuit of profit and jeopardise essential water supplies for nearly 10 per cent of the NI population.”

Police on site

You can follow the progress of the campaign on their website and Facebook page.