Belfast is far from perfect – but it’s perfect for me

We’re good for a geg

We’re happy with our shit weather and the frequent hassle caused by bomb scares, matter of fact we’ve been voted the happiest place in the UK, again. But statistics are boring. What truly makes Belfast great is it’s resilience in the face of adversity. Belfast, for a place that’s recently come out of a conflict, is unbelievably friendly. The battle people are most concerned about now, is the one for the Iron Throne. With Game of Thrones being filmed in the film studio in the Titanic Quarter, the cast can often be seen around the city and at popular night spots – my life goal is now to go to Thompson’s with Tyrion Lannister. Rihanna has also graced Belfast with her presence, being practically chased out of a farmer’s field for indecency. She should have just gone to Botanic Gardens.

Swallin’ in the city

The nightlife Belfast offers is spectacular with an array of quirky spots to choose from. Cuckoo’s jam jars are the shit. Filthy McNasty’s have the greatest beer garden in the history of beer gardens. Love & Death is perhaps the strangest place I’ve ever had a cocktail in, but its aura intrigues you and draws you back time and time again. The Cathedral quarter has had millions invested into it and the pubs around there offer a remarkable pub crawl. Limelight caters to everyone with three different venues offering rock, commercial music and Mario Kart. Thompson’s Garage offers nights like no others, located beside the city hall and welcoming all whether they’re donning a suit or a tracksuit.

Yes, the alcohol in Belfast may be a little more expensive than mainland UK – but NI offers larger measures of spirits so who’s really winning? We are. Order a double and you’re effectively drinking one of Newcastle’s infamous triples.

Thompson’s Garage, theatre of dreams

Music

Belfast offers festivals when the weather is less shit than it normally is, with Belsonic and T-Vital guaranteed to soak you, as although it’s August, the weather is still gonna be atrocious. Luckily if you attend Feile an Phobail, you’ve a circus-esque tent to keep you dry. The city is also home to many charming music venues frequently hosting many musicians, with the recently renamed SSE arena most recently playing host to Jason Derulo – who could forget the Hardwell incident though? Whilst more intimate venues like the Oh!Yeah Music centre are designed to host up and coming talent. Thompson’s Garage frequently host world famous DJs. Mandela Hall and Limelight have held some of the most famous concerts ever in Northern Ireland with U2 and Oasis respectively, whilst AC/DC and Muse have held notable concerts in Ulster Hall. Plus the Waterfront is getting expanded currently, giving us another spot for concerts.

Cheers for the tourism, iceberg

Belfast has also birthed the most famous ship to never reach its destination, the Titanic. The ship’s museum was recently voted the number one tourist attraction in Europe, beating big hitters like the Eiffel Tour, Disneyland and the Roman Colosseum. Other tourist attractions include the Albert Clock, the peace wall in West Belfast, Belfast City Hall, Stormont and Belfast’s two stadiums, Kingspan and Windsor Park. Not to mention the fish statue EVERYONE seemingly gets a photo with when they’ve been drinking.

You can’t spell tit with Eiffel Tower

We’re good for a geg

Belfast is renowned for its wit and humour. The Irish are famous for their craic but Belfast takes it to a whole new level with slegging accepted as just that. Emerging comedians like Colin Geddis, Shane Todd and Cormac McDermott’s Notorious Barrick Boys just a few examples of those flying the flag for the wit that Belfast is known for.

Food talks and it says ‘whataboutye’

But what truly puts Belfast above everywhere else, is the Ulster Fry. The inability to get potato bread anywhere in the mainland UK, or too far south of the border with the Republic shows how lucky we truly are to live in Belfast. Boojum brings a swarm of people to Botanic daily for their fix of Mexican food. And for some really strange reason people think the accent is sexy? I suppose nothing turns me on like having “waz hapnin” whispered in my ear.

We’ve had controversy over petty things like cakes, over comments about who you’d trust to do your shopping for you and over keen entrepreneurs wanting to set up Cafés since emerging from the conflict, but we’ll have you in hysterics when we start joking about them.

New York, you can keep your Statue of Liberty. London, you know where to stick the Big Ben. The Lyric Theatre > Sydney Opera House. Most importantly we have a big ceramic fish. But what truly makes us better than the rest is the craic. Nowhere in the world will you find craic like the craic we have in Belfast.