Tab Campaign: Save Mandela Hall from demolition

‘The union is so much more than a simple shop and bar’

Save one of Belfast’s most famous music venues from demolition. 

Following the news yesterday that the demolition of Mandela Hall has been announced under a QUB management proposal, a petition has started against the motion. The Tab Belfast supports that petition, which calls for prevention of the closure of a venue that has hosted massive student club nights, comedy shows, DJ sets, live concerts, has reached over 6,500 signatures.

Luke Joyce

Students and locals alike have grouped against the demolition of Mandela Hall, a venue which has hosted many shows including one of Radiohead’s famous secret gigs in 1997. But the union is not just a venue. QUBSU is central to student life at Queen’s and its destruction will drastically affect the university experience. If it goes ahead, the demolition will put many societies out of action as well as render hundreds of union staff unemployed.

Business IT second year and Head of Events for Queen’s Radio, Eleanor Lawlor said: “From my own personal perspective as a member of Queen’s Radio, potentially leaving us without a studio to broadcast from in essence renders the society redundant and puts its continuation in jeopardy. I have to wonder if there was any consideration given to these issues at all in the planning process for this new building.”

“The union is supposed to be a space for the students use, to enhance their experience at university. It’s so much more than simply a shop and a bar. It provides different platforms from meeting rooms, storage, events venues, etc. To tear all that down is to deprive us of these facilities, which for many of us make up the majority of our university life outside of our courses. And if nothing else, that’s a crying shame.”

The Tab supports this campaign to save Mandela Hall. Sign the petition here.