Living in a house is always better than halls

You don’t need to be under the watchful eye of halls security

The idea of initially going into halls in your first year at uni seems like a good idea, but living in a house is always a better idea. 

If you think you’re going to be a shy, reclusive and generally antisocial weirdo who doesn’t go into halls first year, you are wrong.

In a house you will have the sweet comfort of knowing your mates won’t get stopped by the halls security driving in to see you for ten minutes. You’re not in school anymore, you don’t need a babysitter.

Too broke to afford a taxi on a night out? Not a problem if you live in a house. You’re guaranteed a pub or club at least a ten minute walk away from your house and there’s always an off-licence a few steps away.

At 2am you don’t need to worry about the anti banter Elms security coming and telling your drunken guests off for the noise level.

There’s much less danger of having a nightmare flatmate, and there is no sleepy fresher coming down in to crash your after party in their dressing gown to call the security because their 9am lecture is “really important.”

There’s no security at the entrance to your house ready to piss all over your dreams. In halls, that hot blonde you’re bringing home from Limelight might be sent straight home in a taxi.

Be assured, this does not happen in a house: you can come home as late as you want without the dark and judgemental eyes of the guards peering down your intoxicated self.

No judgement in a house

Want to spend that extra £7 on a bottle of wine a week? Don’t think about it in halls.

Halls students are scraping pennies together for an 80p tin of tomato soup, while people in a house are doing their weekly shop in Marks and Spencer. Your massive instalment for accommodation will be gone in the blink of an eye, while students in a house will be living it large paying monthly.

So cosy

Also how much do you miss your double bed at home? Well in a house, it still exists.

If you’re having a massive party, everyone can stay over in comfort, as you soon learn that a double bed now accommodates 6 people.

There’s also no sign in procedure, so you can have all of your friends over whenever you want.

Not all things about halls are bad though: you do still go out and get drunk, but forgetting a student card and key when heavily poisoned might mean a night on reception’s sofa.

Coming up to the winter season however, students in their houses are wearing three pairs of pyjamas at night, while halls residents are lying naked with their unlimited heating. This is the only point at which you win.