Fossil Free QUB have started an indefinite occupation of the finance office

They want the uni to divest now

The campaign group Fossil Free QUB started an indefinite occupation of the finance office in the Administration Building at around 5pm today.

They posted on their Facebook group: “Fossil Free QUB have just started an indefinite occupation of the QUB Administration Building!

“We will not leave until Queens University freezes new investments, pledges publicly to divest from fossil fuels and agrees a schedule to withdraw all fossil fuel investments by 2020.

“Our hand has been forced, we’re fighting for a better future for all. Support us!”

The group are currently occupying an office in the Administration Building

The campaign group, led by student officer for Campaigns and Communications Sean Fearon, occupied the steps of the Lanyon quad last Wednesday in an attempt to disrupt a planning and finance committee meeting.

Last week, Sean Fearon told The Tab: “Queen’s has invested five and a half million pounds into fossil fuel companies.

“We have been trying to engage for months but they have made no promises to start to divest.

“Other universities have pledged to divest by 2020, what we want is a five year timetable.”

This occupation comes after police were called to the Whitla Hall on Wednesday as the campaigners protested outside Queen’s winter graduation.

A demonstration will take place on Monday in solidarity with the Fossil Free QUB campaign.