Should abortion be legalised in Northern Ireland?

‘I don’t see any reason that abortion should be illegal’

Yesterday the Belfast High Court ruled that the abortion laws in Northern Ireland breach human rights.

Mr Justice Horner said that women who are victims of sexual abuse and in cases of fatal foetal malformation are entitled to exemptions in the law. We took to the streets of Belfast to ask you what you think.

Ellie, second year, Business IT

I like the fact that we’re actually talking about it but you can’t just make tiny changes because when you do you’re opening the door to a whole new flood of question and issues.

It should be either a straight yes or no.

Kim, third year, History and Politics

It’s good that they’re catching up with the rest of the world because I don’t see any reason that abortion should be illegal.

Elisha, third year, Music Technology

It’s good progress but more could be done.

Luke, third year, English

It’s good for the law to include issues like fatal foetal abnormalities, rape and incest but I think there’s a limit. If the baby is able to grow to full term then really it should be able to.

That’s going to be someone’s best friend, mother, father. What if that abortion was going to be you? They don’t have a voice.

Sabrina, third year, Music Technology

I think it’s a good thing. The law as it stood was backwards – it’s a step in the right direction.

Niamh Campbell, third year, English

I’ve heard that if you have an Irish passport it can cost you up to £400 for an abortion in England. That’s insane, it’s good that the legislation has changed but it should be open to everybody.