Stop being a scrooge and accept that the Christmas market is the second best thing about Christmas

(After Christmas dinner, of course)

It’s that magical time of year again when Belfast city centre doesn’t completely die after five pm and that’s thanks in no small part to Belfast’s bi-annual tradition of the continental market. For eleven years now the continental market in both it’s Christmas and spring variations has been doling out over priced sweeties and ostrich burgers to the huddled masses and we wouldn’t have it any other way.

It’s crazy to think it’s been there for that long, but the continental market is now a staple of Belfast’s seasonal life. Sure one trip to the place is enough to empty out whatever you had left of your loan, but don’t tell me the atmosphere of the Christmas market isn’t one of the best in Belfast. The feeling of drinking a strawberry beer in a warm German beer tent at Christmas, with everyone in good spirits and more than slightly tipsy is enough to make a grown man cry.

Talking to a few people in the tent it was clear everyone was merry. Accountancy second year Cliodhna Maguire enjoying a raspberry cider said: “I love it, it’s so diversely cultural. Or culturally diverse.” Another second year, this time studying History, Lisa Hannon added: “It’s like an igloo of happiness.” These endorsements should tell you everything you need to know about the beer tent. The beer is expensive, but it’s definitely strong.

Blocked

But seriously, why would anyone throw shade at the Christmas Market. Sure the beer costs about three pounds more than it should but look around at the faces of the people as they all sit in that cosy tent, crowded on benches with their families, their friends, with someone they love.

Try and see if it looks like any one of them regrets their purchase.

The markets are not perfect. The churros are overrated and overpriced and I could personally leave the twenty five pound a pop hipster hats,  but overall the market just has a good vibe.

It isn’t just great, it’s damn important for Belfast. Like Boojum, or the ships or anything else vaguely positive in the last fifteen years – it’s another thing that gives us a sense of our own identity. Something new we can all relate to and enjoy.

It’s clearly important to us. And trust me – I’ve been to the Christmas market in Liverpool – we take a hell of a lot better care of ours. So next time you want to diss the price, or say it’s always the same, remember, the Christmas markets are fucking great.