Does being in a relationship ruin Freshers’?

‘You want your uni life, your four years of freedom’

You all know how it goes. You move to university and sometimes you’re in a relationship. It might work, it might not (it probably won’t).

We dutifully took to the streets to find out what you guys really think about being in a relationship when you head to university.

Alexandra Capper, third year, English Literature

“I think, yes that they do. I just think when you’re young and single, in general, you should just not have to tell anybody where you are or what you’re doing unless it’s a personal safety issue.

“I think, be autonomous in your early twenties, these years when you get to be selfish and do what you want.

“And if you meet someone and you enjoy their relationship along the way, that’s happy days. But don’t not do something you wouldn’t ordinarily do for someone you may or may not know in ten or fifteen years time.”

Rohan Woodcock, third year, English Literature

“Yes, definitely. I remember when I was here for Freshers’, I had one friend who was from England and he spent all of it sitting down inside, inside bars and stuff, just texting his girlfriend. I don’t think he got the whole scope of it.

“It’s only now since he’s broken up with her in the third year, he’s going absolutely crazy and going to all the Freshers’ stuff. And all the freshers are looking at him like he’s crazy because he’s older.

“So I would say it definitely impedes, as it doesn’t allow you the freedom you’re supposed to exercise at this age.”

Mark Boyle (left), fourth year, Computer Science

“I would advise against it. You want to enjoy your uni life, your four years of freedom. Not be stuck in a relationship.”

Nicole, second year, History

“No I don’t think it hurts. It depends who you’re in a relationship with.

“If they’re a student or not. If they’re older it’s not an issue, unless they’re a psycho.”

Catherine McEvoy, final year PHD, Astrophysics

“I’m going to say that, whatever makes them happy, they should do that.”

Ruth Reaney, second year PHD, Human Resource Management

“I think it depends on the relationship that you’re in, but for some people it works. And for some people it doesn’t.”

Tim Ellis, masters, Irish History

“That’s interesting for me, because I’m a post-grad student and I have a girlfriend back home. It’s interesting because my experience of Freshers’ week has been a lot more civilised and a lot more chilled out than what freshers do.

“I think you’ve got three years as a fresher, so you should really get rid of them, but if you’re a bit older, like a mature student or a post-grad, then you should stay in a relationship.”

Daria Roubina, third year, English Literature

“Every person and relationship is different, and it really depends on what you, as a couple, are comfortable with. There needs to be good communication and also trust in the relationship for it to work when you’re entering a new stage of your life and trying new things.

“When I went into Freshers’, I was in a long-term and long-distance relationship, and it was a bit strange in the beginning what with being away in a new and unfamiliar city. We just spoke about it and figured things out and we are still together now.”