Our big night out with Basshunter

A dreary Limelight Tuesday turned into a rollercoaster of emotion

It was a grim, wet Tuesday and summer was fast approaching its demise. An evening of torrential rain pouring down around us. There was nothing in the air to suggest it would be a significant night. It was, however, a night which would change the lives of all those involved. Change them indefinitely.

The night was impromptu and pre-drinks followed the similar routine of awkward chit-chat with strangers, drinking games and a dirty pint or two. The last of these dirty pints went to my mate Murchan and was one part Buckfast, two parts White Diamond, and one part Harp – the perfect Scottish cocktail.

Despite this he held himself together well. We all got to Limelight without incident.

The club was relatively empty and the major crowd had not yet shown up. Each of us went into autopilot and did exactly what everyone else would do if they walked into a bar and didn’t know anyone. We got a pint and leaned on the bar.

It was at this point the night got interesting. It was at this point our lives changed forever.

“Is that Basshunter?” Murchan slurred.

“Nah mate, you’re just blocked, it’s not Basshunter,” was Niall Morris’s reply.

Now remember- Murchan was drunk. Like 2am, Chip Co. drunk. It was about 10:30pm at this stage.

“I’m gonna go talk to him,” he says and heads straight for the man himself.

Anyone that’s ever been to Limelight knows it’s a noisy place, particularly the rock room. A very drunk Murchan power walked towards a strange, tall man, who we were certain he did not know. Niall looked at me and we understood what needs to be done. We have to look after our drunken mate.

We scurry after him and catch the start of the conversation:

“Are you Basshunter?” he asks.

The answer: “Ya! My name is Jonas, how you doing?”

We look at him sceptically and try and recall those sepia tinged videos of my awkward preteen days. Then it all clicks together. It’s Basshunter. In Limelight. This is all we ever wanted. This man is my angel in the night.

What do I do with my hands? Can I talk to him? Do we get a photo? Is this real life?

Austie, the oldest of the group and most level headed takes us aside, and like a military commander to his troops rallies us up and gives us the brief:

“Fellas. We have an opportunity here. Don’t fuck this up. This is Basshunter. As in “All I ever Wanted”, as in “Dota”, as in “Now You’re Gone”. This man has UK number ones. And for some reason he wants to hang about with us. Don’t fuck this up. Now, he’s used to fan girls. He’s used to pictures. You want a night with Basshunter? Treat him like one of the boys, have fun, but not too much fun, be inviting, but don’t invite him. Let’s do this!”

Basshunter at Kelly’s earlier this month

Now obviously on the inside we were giddy schoolboys who were just after getting charged for a single serving of meat in Boojum instead of a double.

But on the outside, we were just some guys, out having a few beers… with our new friend Basshunter.  He even asked us to wait on him because he needed to use the restroom. Bros for life.

Limelight filled up, and be it someone from our own circle trying to impress a girl, or for some other super fan’s recognition of the icon, word got out that Jonas (the artist formally known as Basshunter) was in Limelight.

People hounded him for photos, pulled at him, shoving mobile phones into his face – doing everything Austie told us not to do.

Keeping the duckface relevent and keeping the fans happy

As his adopted entourage for the night we took it as our duty to form a ring and protect our boy Jonas from the rabble of, as Murchan would later describe, “Phonies, who probably haven’t even listened to him in 10 years”.

We did our best and the main man took it all in his stride, posed for photos, sent snapchats, talked with all the guys and girls who like us just wanted to bask in his glow for a moment.

It was crazy. Amid fans shoving for pictures, alcohol flowing and Limelight’s stilt walkers and light shows it all seemed like a thing of fantasy. This was our night. It was amazing.

Unfortunately though, like all men committed to their work Jonas couldn’t stay the whole night. He left at one because he had to play a gig in Newry the next night. We walked him out to the smoking area and waved him off. Never to see him again.

The next morning we awoke, the rain from last night vanished and a new sun shining. It was the same old world. We woke on Niall’s same old couch, but something about it felt different. We were different. We had met a UK number one artist. The world seemed a little rosier.

But did it really happen? Was there just something funky in Limelight’s chocolate tequila? Did he actually enjoy our company or were we just more super fans, vying for his attention?”

Maybe he wasn’t having as much fun as we thought he was

We caught up with Jonas in Kelly’s last week, he said: “It’s been great returning to Ireland and especially again to Kelly’s Portrush.

“I was at Sugar in Derry last night and smashed it, the energy and vibes in the club were pumping.

“I love the energy in clubs as I hate sitting doing nothing as that is just boring so I’m always living life to the max with loads of energy in it.

“While I’m on, I like to drink beers mainly Corona , meet my fans and have girls in the box partying with me and my guys.

“When I go out I like to just meet with my friends and meet new people and have drinks, I usually don’t remember alot after meeting my friends.

“I’ll admit I do love Irish girls and being here in Ireland is epic.

“There are many good looking girls around here tonight so it might be her, it might not, but it will be someone.”