Meet the captains

Let them tell you why you should pick their team

Sailing Captain – Peter Davey

PeterDavey

Why is your club the best at Queen’s?

The range of opportunity’s available at sailing. 

Absolute beginners can learn to sail, we have training for those who want to race competitively across the UK and Ireland.

We do powerboat qualifications and chances for QUB sailors to go work at an American summer camp as a sailing instructor. We also drink a lot.

Most mental memory from tour?

Seeing a Scottish guy in the middle of a crowded dance floor lift up his kilt and piss everywhere. He didn’t even get thrown out.

Who’s the fittest on the team?

James Lynch the Vice Captain of Racing.

Best night out in Belfast?

Probably limelight.

We did pres on a boat in the harbour next to Box one time, that was pretty class.

Five words for the freshers?

I’m on a boat motherfucker.

Netball Vice President – Beth Wilson

Why is your club the best at Queen’s?

Because while staying fit and healthy, you can meet so many new people and have some amazing memories and loads of fun nights out too.

Most mental memory from tour?

Our last tour was in Dublin and some of our team stayed out till 6am after going to four clubs, they arrived home swearing they are never leaving the country.

They did come home with us but just as we got off the bus in Belfast they went straight to Parlour, they are crazy.

Who’s the fittest on the team?

Last year was definitely Claire McAtamney, she just ran and ran and ran all the time.

Best night out in Belfast?

Well the best night I’ve had recently was a Saturday night in Box, the music was amazing.

Expensive drinks though.

Five words for the freshers?

Fun, fitness, friends, competition, parties.

Ultimate Frisbee Captain – Daniel Finlay

Why is your club the best at Queen’s?

I believe that Ultimate Frisbee finds the perfect balance between competitiveness, enjoyment and social life.

Ultimate is a breath of fresh air from the pressure of more popular clubs. What’s more, throwing discs is much more fun than throwing balls.

Most mental memory from tour?

In Ultimate we have what’s called a Three Pint Challenge – believe it or not you can fit three pints into a standard ultimate disc.

The aim is to drink the three pints through a straw as fast as possible.

Last year we had three competitors facing off while on tour and the winner was a fresher who drank his pints of Guiness in 1 minute 30 seconds.

The repercussions were pretty mental.

Who’s the fittest on the team?

Without any doubt, Leh Chuan Lim.

Best night out in Belfast?

We find that there’s nothing better than a high quality pub quiz so we usually have the most craic in either Parlour or Speakeasy.

If we’re taking things up a notch, we usually organise a house party – we can’t do three pint challenges in bars or clubs.

Five words for the freshers?

The funnest sport in existence.

Dodgeball Captain – Evan Spence

Why is your club the best at Queen’s?

The best thing about dodgeball is definitely the community feel.

As dodgeball is still a pretty new and growing sport, you quickly get to know people from all over the place,  including teams from Dublin.

Even though we are technically rival teams, everyone is friends with everyone and that’s amazing. Throwing balls at your friends is also mighty fun!

Most mental memory from tour?

There was the one time we were entered into a massive tournament.

We had ordered new kits for the team to use, but when we opened them up on the day, it wasn’t our usual kit but this weird leather one.

However the match was about to start and official UKDBA rules stated we had to have matching team uniform so we stuck it on anyway and headed out. That was certainly an interesting match.

Who’s the fittest on the team?

A recent addition to our A team, Peter LaFleur.

He started out as a bit of an average Joe but has come along leaps and bounds and we are really proud of him.

Best night out in Belfast?

Filthy’s Fair was a blast, but even on normal nights Filthy’s makes for a good time.

Five words for the freshers?

Dodge, Duck, Dip, Dive and Dodge.

Hockey Captain – Gavin Lecky

Why is your club the best at Queen’s?

Queen’s hockey provides a refreshing break from academical [sic] life in college, meeting three times a week and a few more social events in the year.

But of course the UV party is the highlight of many people’s college year and is the biggest club run event in the Union’s calendar.

Most mental memory on tour?

What happens on tour stays there. Most of it was legal.

Who’s the fittest on the team?

Thomas  ‘Telliot’ Elliot and his aerodynamic beard.

Best night out in Belfast?

When everyone is dressed in our club attire, shirt and tie Saturday night in Alibi is pretty fun.

Five words for the freshers?

Hockey, we’ll look after you.

Cheer Captain – Cara McNally

Why is your club the best at Queen’s?

Queen’s Knights Cheerleaders are a very tight knit group of likeminded people. Most of us had never done anything like cheerleading before we came to QUB.

The skills that you develop at cheerleading are both physical and mental. We train three times a week to build our bodies ready for the 3-4 national and international competitions we compete at.

In three years we have grown so much and it’s all down to the incredible people that through themselves heart and soul into cheer, because the thrill is so addictive.

Favourite memory?

My own memory came from our trip to Liverpool for our first University National Competition at BCA.

We arrived at our hostel and my room with my stunt group had a rather high roof so we decided to through up a few stunts.

We were actually able to perform and perfect our full stunt group routine in our room then the rest of the team crowded in to our room to watch. It was a giant sleepover. It was amazing.

Who’s the fittest on the team?

I honestly couldn’t pick one of them. Our girls are all so fierce and sassy.

Best night out in Belfast?

We have recently teamed up with the Empire on Botanic and cannot wait to hold some of our legendary socials there.

We also loved Mandela on a Monday last year – our members get free entry and we are hoping to continue with that this year too.

Five words for the freshers?

Terrifying, exhilarating, fun, social, a family.