A guide to doing freshers properly with BNOC Debbie Wilkinson

The myth, the legend, the BNOC

Have you ever suggested Boojum is overrated and Build-a-Burger is better because there’s never a queue? Do you find yourself paying real life money to enter Ollies only to have a 12am epiphany that it’s really really shit? Are you a lost fresher looking for some guidance?

Fear no more my lost lambs, big name on campus and absolute legend Debbie Wilkinson is here to take you under her wing. Listen up (and get the fuck out of Ollies).

In May, you voted Debbie as your BNOC and today she talks to The Tab to give back to her loyal fans and help the Queen’s newbies find their way.

The reigning champion.

First and foremost, where should you go out for freshers?

Kremlin is always my number one, it’s never too packed during the week and you’re always guaranteed a geg.

I am partial to a wee night at Box for Craic’s 90 though, but I’d advise that you definitely be drunk as I went sober once and the place definitely is anything but Craic’s 90 unless you’re plastered.

Anywhere there is good drink deals and everyone is not on meth is a good night out.

Is there anywhere you wouldn’t be seen dead in?

I went to Ollies once and felt like I was a new recruit to the cast of Made in Chelsea.

Also not keen on Parlour because I feel like I’m going to get done in by literally the whole population who is there.

But a night out is a night out and the number one advice for freshers is if there’s drink there, it’s gonna be a good night. Unless you’re the person who gets so drunk and all your mates have to leave to look after you, this advice is not for you.

Good to know. How often should you go out in the week?

At least once, but if the student loan or wages in then definitely two to three!

Are there any mistakes you made as a fresher that you shouldn’t?

Didn’t go to lectures or tutorials and thought I could still pass a module, that’s definitely a mistake.

Oh and also, any night you bring your bank card out as well as cash is a big mistake if you want money to live on for the rest of the month.

Where’s the best place for hangover food?

The answer is always Boojum.

Lastly, are there any groups you think freshers should join? *Coughs* The Tab?

I joined rugby and went for one night and actually thought I was going to die.

Also joined the Student Council then left because I’m not committed to anything. But definitely you should join any group you’re interested in because nothing screams “I spent my time as a fresher going out and doing nothing” like a blank CV.

Oh and of course… The Tab.