Should Northern Ireland have equal marriage?

‘The people of Ireland want equality for everyone’

As the Republic of Ireland ushers in a new era of equality with the referendum allowing same sex marriage, we asked you guys how you feel about the referendum, and if same sex marriage should be legalised in Northern Ireland as well.

Cailum Carragher, 20, Drama

Queen’s student Cailum thought he was being stopped to talk about his fashion choice

“It blows my mind that a first world country like Northern Ireland in 2015 doesn’t have same sex marriage. It’s actually so primitive or something.”

Sinéad Rogan, 20, Law and Chloe Mallon, 20, English

“Ireland has come such a long way in the past few decades and the referendum proved that the people of Ireland want equality for everyone. That doesn’t stop at the border.”

Marty Mathers, 20, Teaching at Saint Mary’s

“I’m definitely not against gay marriage. They’re not doing anyone any harm. Whether or not gay marriage is legal in NI makes no difference to me. Though, I believe the Asher bakery case was a little unjustified. Why should someone promote something they don’t believe? We’ve to respect people’s religious beliefs as much as their sexuality or anything else.”

Fiona Saygivar, 20, Maths and Physics

“I couldn’t be happier, the LGBT community are finally allowed to get married and are finally allowed to take the next natural step for people who are in love. It is nice that they are finally seen as equal in the eye of the law, because in reality they ought to be.