Queen’s activists rally for marriage equality in Ireland

Some people are gay, get over it

| UPDATED belfast students gay marriage lgbt national qub

Over 100 students and activists rallied at the Lanyon building’s front gates this Friday in support of marriage equality.

The protest was held in support of the Yes Campaign for gay marriage legalisation and equality in the Republic of Ireland.

It comes ahead of Ireland’s referendum on May 22 and organisations NIPSA LGBT, Yes Equality and Amnesty International were in attendance alongside Queen’s students.

Politics third year and president of Politics Society Jordan White organised the rally.

He said: “When I started Knock The Vote it wasn’t about the constitutional status of Northern Ireland, as one day this referendum could affect us, it was about human rights on this Island.”

Jordan added: “A yes vote on May 22nd means this country now has Scotland, Wales, England and the Republic of Ireland surrounding them and hopefully that can put more pressure on elected representatives in Northern Ireland who abstain from the votes, fail to turn up, break party lines or even vote No to get a majority in Stormont who want a Yes for marriage equality in Northern Ireland.”

Opinion polls suggest a landslide win for the Yes Campaign could be pivotal for LGBT people in Ireland.