QUB have leeched over £174,000 out of us in fines

16,725 people have already been fined by the library this year alone

action disciplinary fine library

QUB have charged students a massive £174, 245 from students in fines over the past three academic years.

A Freedom of Information request from The Tab shows that the uni have slapped us with over £26k in fines this year alone.

Last year the total amount of fines given from the library dented the pockets of an impressive 46, 344 people, one of whom was distraught Queen’s alumni Roisin Lanigan.

“I walked all the way to the library in the pissing down rain,not knowing just how much the short loans fine was. When I was told it was £18 I burst into tears.

“It was essay season, give me a break. Luckily the guy seemed to feel really sorry for me, so let me off.”

Library fines hugely outnumber the amount of disciplinary fines awarded to students this term.

295 disciplinaries have been doled out in the past three years.

This year the largest single amount fined to one student came to £400 for “misuse of fire equipment in Halls of residence”.

In 2013 the total amount of fines, both disciplinary and from the library, amounted to £73,811.

135 students were awarded disciplinary fines and once again “misuse of fire equipment” saw one lucky halls resident lose £500.

As exam season lurks just around the corner it’s safe to predict that the amount of library fines will steadily creep up as books are desperately logged out in an attempt to scrape 40%.