QUB Law Soc just brought campaign videos to terrifying new levels

‘If anyone has a problem with it talk to Shannon Jones’

Bona Fide elections law society

Bona Fide released their campaign video last Friday.

Each year, the Queen’s University Law Society holds their committee elections, and each year the rest of the student body turn their heads in indifference. Quite simply, nobody cares.

Until Bona Fide came along and showed us what law students are all about.

Can you feel the power?

There was such uproar at the sight of “pampered law students”, “the spawn of rich people” that two Reddit pages have appeared, offering a complainants confessional for any and all who felt slighted by the minute-long video.

Look and see how these lofty lawyers dress as their favorite Law & Order characters while throwing money about, standing hand-on-hip and pouting – thumbing their noses at all we commoners stand for.

Suit up or fuck up, am I right?

Or not, according to Shannon Jones, the creative mastermind behind the most controversial 60 seconds of video ever to emerge from the astute corridors of the Queens School of Law.

She said: “I personally don’t regret the video and wouldn’t change anything about the campaign- though maybe I’m biased because I came up with most of it.”

QUB- where originality died

As the director, Shannon saw a need to spice up the lazy and uninspiring face of student politics.

“I’m sick of generic campaigns- I hate them. This is my 4th campaign and every one of them before was the same kind of thing.”

“After seeing the poor turnout for the Student’s Union elections, it really drove home the importance of doing something different.”

“I wanted to get people talking and that’s precisely what the video did.”

With over 400 likes on Bona Fide’s Facebook page and in excess of 5000 hits on YouTube, Shannon is delighted with the campaign so far.

“It shows the interest that’s been generated in the law society. With 400 likes that’s more than any of the Student’s Union candidates had on their election pages.”

It is the video however that has commanded attention over the past week.

“The video was about causing a stir,” said Shannon, and a stir is precisely what she attained.

Criticisms on Reddit and Facebook point that the video doesn’t so much as offer an insight into Bona Fide’s manifesto should they be elected.

“It doesn’t matter” says Shannon, “the video wasn’t a flop, it got people talking and generated interest. As for the manifestos, they’ll be uploaded later.”

“Don’t be mistaken that the candidates aren’t serious. I know these people and they’ll put in 110% if they’re elected.”

Rough,tough and ready

With the hashtag #TrustInUs, Bona Fide has won the support of local businesses and personalities due in part to the effectiveness of Shannon’s campaign.

“The Fly, Ollies- even a director has contacted me.”

So far the video has attracted the attention of local comedian Mike McGoldrick, DJ Tez and has been featured on Belfast Klout- one of the top 100 social media influencers in Northern Ireland and Love Belfast.

Most impressive, but what about an excess of 70 dislikes on YouTube and a vitriolic backlash on Reddit?

“I don’t want anyone getting the wrong impression, it was meant to be light-hearted.

qWe knew we were going to get slated but people will look back on this and remember it and I hope it will revolutionise Law Society campaigning.”

Shannon feels the online fury directed at the video is unwarranted. On Reddit, a scene where money is thrown from one student to another has been labelled “insensitive” in a climate of university budget cuts.

“It was Monopoly money,” sighs Shannon, “It was showing the Charity Officer lodging money with the Treasurer.”

“I think it’s unfair that the candidates have been branded as ‘the spawn of rich people’, it’s clear people are jumping to conclusions. Joseph Donaghy (one of the Bona Fide candidates) campaigns for student poverty and is involved with the Student Poverty Allowance Group.”

“How many students at Queens have helped build up a charity from scratch? Joseph has.”

Bona Fide making it rain

Shannon accepts that her work will likely always carry a level of notoriety and feels that most of the criticism stems simply from people “who don’t get” the video.

“If anyone has a problem with it, come and talk to Shannon Jones, I’ll explain it to them.”