Union proposal could lower ‘extortionate’ colour printing costs in McClay

You’re about to be 15p better off

| UPDATED 19th feb colour council jonathan irwin jordan mcmullen meeting noad northern ireland pages print printing costs queens student

The prices we pay for printing in colour could be changing.

And another controversial SU proposal, to have sabbatical officers only use the term “Northern Ireland” – was withdrawn.

It currently costs 5p for black and white printing, yet a massive 15p difference means that to print in colour is a pricey 20p.

A successful proposal at last night’s Student Union Council Meeting described this 20p charge as “extortionate”.

Councillors will now appeal to the Student’s Union Executive Management Committee to “lobby for cheaper printing”.

Vive la revolution.

Also included in the proposal was a call for a campaign to offer a cheaper “printing alternative” for students at Queen’s.

About time- some of us need our precious 20ps for those vending machines.

A further proposal in the meeting could provoke controversy.

Two University Council members have proposed a motion which would see Sabbatical Officers forced to refer to Northern Ireland solely as “Northern Ireland”.

The motion – which was withdrawn – would have meant any other references, including “North of Ireland” would not be acceptable.

Though we’re not sure about “Norn Iron”.

On the bright side later motion, prosposing a regular bus service between Elms Village and the main QUB campus, was successful.

Turns out council was actually interesting for once.