SWOT Fashion Show: Saving lives, one twerk at a time

SWOT is so hot right now

catwalk eamon fashion monday show SWOT

What raises a shit-ton of money for charity, showcases the best fashion Northern Ireland has to offer and has enough body-popping to get Eamonn Holmes excited?

No, it’s not (just) the svelte body of Ruth Langsford: it’s the annual QUB SWOT Fashion show.

The SWOT fashion show on Monday March 9 sees dozens of Medical students take to the stage in order to raise money for the society.

Have you got your ticket yet? Eamonn has

SWOT – Students Working Overseas Trust – is a charitable society run by fourth year Medics.

These student doctors then take the funds raised to the Third World themselves, while they work in these areas during their six week summer elective.

Current SWOT President, Sean McGinley, said: “Our biggest event is the SWOT Fashion Show, raising an excess of £30,000 each year.

“Every penny we raise goes directly to provide basic medications and equipment that is taken for granted in Northern Ireland.

“From the experiences of previous students, this genuinely does change and save lives.

“Last year, a record-breaking £58,000 was raised.”

An interesting method for tackling the NHS hospital bed shortage

The annual fashion show, held in Whitla Hall, features live music, dance routines and a whole host of raffle prizes to be won.

This year you can even win One Direction tickets your “little sister” would enjoy. 

They’d give the shirt off their backs to help hospitals in need

Co-ordinater Clare Moore said: “We rehearse for this every weekend for over five months, then take to the stage on the night, dressed in different clothes from a range of shops and dance to all the best tunes.”

She added: “This year, the prince of North Down, Shane Todd (Mike McGoldrick) and the Queen of UTV, Pamela Ballantine, are hosting, so we’re in for a night to remember.

“Some of our finest senior lecturing staff are also taking the stage to show us how it’s done.”

Tickets are available now at the Queen’s Students Union reception and cost a mere £28.

This gets you entry to the fashion show, refreshments, a goody bag, access to the raffle and entry to the epic after party in the Speakeasy.

But if you’re still not convinced, take a look at the promo video for this years show below.