Box nightclub reveal lost property box to match you up with your possessions

It’s a Box box

belfast Box freebies lost and found nightclub the box nightclub

Time to take out a Sherlock Holmes coat and magnifying glass and inspect further.

Box are advertising items recovered by staff at the end of the night on Facebook for claimants to take.

Their first edition of “the box” seen them display 88 band/student cards, 55 keys, 47 driving licenses, 34 purses/wallets, 23 phones and a single Nando’s card which staff politely used to get a free 1/2 chicken. Cheeky.

Sanjeev Passi, one of the managers of Box, said: “Personal items like passports and driving licenses, wallets and purses are obviously easy items to identify. For phones we often ask for a full description, any markings etc. Smartphones are straightforward, as we always ask the passcode or ask whats on the screen saver as back up, but this means we have to charge up every phone in lost property which can be time consuming.

“If the phone has been lost during the night , we sometimes just ask for the person to ring the number from a friends phone to ensure its going into correct hands.”

Sanjeev says the reasoning behind the new system is simply down to how time-consuming reuniting everyone with their lost items can be.

“Our student night Craics 90 has between 1800-2200 students every week during term time, you can imagine the amount of lost items each week. The issue is that the club office hours are only Mon & Thurs between 12pm-3pm. Many people ring up expecting us to be open 9-5 Mon to Friday like a normal office, so they get frustrated when they cant get through.

“We receive many emails, many Facebook messages and phone calls, but it is virtually impossible to keep track.”

The new system, which Sanjeev says has been received positively so far, sees Box list all their Saturday lost items on Monday, and Tuesday lost items on a Thursday.

Revellers are given four weeks to collect their items – if not they’ll be given to charity.

See anything you fancy?

In terms of wallets/purses, any claimants will be quizzed on what content the wallet/purse contained before it got found, providing you can remember just how much you spent on shots for you and the bar.

Nice phone, don’t mind if I do…

Sanjeev said: “The amount of items that have actually been claimed but then not picked up is also crazy.

“We also sometimes, when we have time, we do search for people on Facebook to personally let them know their passports /ID’s are in lost property. But when there is a massive back log, we simply do not have the time.

“On many occasions, we have even personally delivered lost items to student houses, but again, it’s not always possible.”

To help clear up the back log, Box intend to send staff out to deliver lost items to student houses over the coming weeks. Look out for them in the Holylands.