Meet the cosplayers: They spend hours and hundreds of pounds to look like their favourite characters

Nothing wrong with a bit of dress-up

ahri anime anna belfast cosplay costume frozen hellsing league of legends manga marvel qcon qub spiderman television video games

Meet Belfast’s cosplayers – a hobby that involves making and wearing costumes from TV, film, anime, comics and video games.

Delia O’Neill told us she first saw cosplay online. “It looked really cool and I just wanted to try it as it seemed really creative as well.”

Helen McElroy, an 18 year old anime aficionado, agrees. “I used to google images of anime characters and I saw people dressed up- I thought I could give it a go! In anime the outfits are extravagent and I knew I wanted to look nice.”

Delia as Ahri from League of Legends

However, second year Law student Mark Gallagher had a rather saucier introduction to cosplay.

Mark says: “My ex was fond of anime, and she talked me into dressing up as a character that…appealed to her. I did like getting all the pieces together.”

When not fighting crime, Spiderman takes time to pose

The world of cosplay is a vast one, and many players can have multiple outfits. Mark has dressed up as three characters and Helen is currently working on her fifth.

Neither compare to Delia, who has racked up an impressive twelve characters.

Helen as Anna, with twinkies

But Computer Games Design student Delia admits this amount of costumes does not come cheap: “If I had to guess I’ve spent around 300-400 Euros on fabric, contacts and wigs.”

Helen says there can be a massive difference in price,depending on the character. “I’ve spent about £140 on my Madoka costume, but Anna from Frozen only came to about £34”

Mark shiftily admits that while he has only spent £35 on his outfits.

He says: “There was an embarrassing additional amount on fabric paint. The true amount will only be made public long after I’m deceased.”

Delia as Serah from Final Fantasy, look at that detail

If you’re not creatively inclined, cosplay may sound like a nightmare, but these players insist it’s worth the effort.

“That feeling of accomplishment once you finish a costume” Delia says,  “It’s really fun seeing something that you have made yourself.”

Mark also considers the practicalities. “Aside from the usual sentimentalities of finishing projects,and earning praise for your hard work, I’m also grateful for the monetary prize I won at Belfast Film and Comic Con.”

“A cosplay to me is an elaborate art project I can wear, so I’ll pick it based on what I can actually do, and based on time. My fixation with prancing in tight clothing also comes into account.”

Helen has even managed to wrangle employment out of her hobby “It’s a lot of fun, you meet friends with similar interests and I got a job out of it.”

Mark impresses judges with his spandex antics

Helen mentions that she incorporates her cosplay into her everyday outfits.

“I would usually go for characters which have similar a similar personality to mine. Also if I like the outfit, I don’t do the whole normal clothes thing.”

“I have to suit the character” confirms Delia, “If they are wearing too little, I wouldn’t cosplay them”

Helen (left) with her clone, both dressed as Madoka

Obviously the costumes don’t appear magically – Delia and Mark are no strangers to a few all-nighters.

“I’d like to say that I prepare early, but it usually ends up being two weeks before a convention that I start preparing.” says Delia

Mark is similarly hasty in his creations “The night before Belfast Film and Comic Con, I was making lenses for my Spiderman costume at 6.00 am. The resulting sleep deprivation resulted in a near fatal roller-skating accident.”

Organised Helen has already started preparing. She said: “I start about six or seven months beforehand, it’s a long process.”

I experience Delia’s tails

For those interested in getting into cosplay Delia advises: “Chose a cosplay that you want to do for it, plan it out material wise. Looking up tutorials can be very helpful if you’re stuck.

“Attend cons with friends as it’s always more fun and less terrifying. Keep in mind that not everyone is as friendly as you’d hope, avoid drama and people looking to ruin your day.”

Magical love

Mark agrees that there’s strength in numbers. “Go with a group of friends, these things can be overwhelming. Usual precautions about strangers apply.

“Acquaint yourself with people who know their stuff when it comes to making costumes. When I come into difficulty, I have a really talented support group to fall back on.”

Delia as Seras Victoria from Hellsing

21-year-old Delia advises: “If you don’t feel comfortable with a costume, don’t do it because some people do costumes for the sex appeal, and that’s not what it’s about.”

“Don’t think you have to be the exact same body type or weight or anything to cosplay. Do what makes you happy, and have fun.”

A bath is a good place to get cosplay photos

You can visit Delia, Mark, and Helen on Facebook.