Why uni is basically your second childhood

Do you nap constantly, occasionally throw tantrums and find yourself fixated by TV shows? Welcome to life at uni

adventure time blanket fort childhood Second childhood uni life

Students are similar to hyperactive eight-year-olds in more ways than one.

If you’re like me, you nap more often now than you did during infancy.

You know the feeling, you’re just back from a lecture and have three hours to kill before dinner. Do you get cracking on that assignment you have due? Nah, it’s nap time.

The day following a night out demands a nap. The day following a night in demands a nap. Typing this up is putting me in the mood for a nap.

Sleeping Beauty has nothing on me

When you’re not lying comatose somewhere, the same mindset can be achieved with TV shows.

Children’s television is a bright spot in the bleak abyss of daytime television when Netflix just isn’t delivering.

Yes we watch some adult TV (not talking about pornography) like Suits and Breaking Bad, but sometimes you’d much rather watch Adventure Time. Cbeebies is primetime viewing, and beats Cash in the Attic any day.

More discussions are had critically analysing Adventure Time with my younger siblings than talking about what I’m learning about in class.

I’m not a fangirl, I promise…

Who doesn’t love a good throwback to our childhood.

My house mates and I recently turned down the opportunity to go out in order to build a blanket fort. Yes, you read that correctly, a blanket fort.

We got into our pyjamas and watched Malcolm in the Middle inside said fort.

We feel no shame and don’t pretend you’re not jealous.

Mid-construction of the blanket fort (we should have been wearing hard hats)

Admit it, if there’s one thing that makes us feel like little children, it’s the yearning we (sometimes) get for our Mammys.

Trips back home are worth it as your bag of radioactive laundry is transformed into freshly washed, ironed presentable items that you can wear with pride.

Then there’s the food. After days, weeks, or months of substituting real food for takeaway, oven meals or your own attempts to be Jamie Oliver, nothing quite tastes as good as your Mum’s roast dinners.

Though it does come at the price of losing your precious lie in- there’s no better alarm clock than a parent.

It’s a far cry from a Sphinx, Wok-a-Moley, Subway or a Rustler burger