Alley Cat bar facing charges for food contamination and pest control problems

Meow

alley cat alley cat belfast belfast

American-style diner and bar Alley Cat is being prosecuted by City Council lawyers and is facing up to 11 charges.

The popular venue faces allegations of food contamination and failing to have adequate procedures to control pets and will be prosecuted under the terms of the Food Hygiene Regulations.

Alley Cat’s owners will contest charges which include claims that the “layout, design and construction of the food premises were insufficient to protect food against contamination and, in particular, from pests”.

Further charges involve making sure the food premises were kept clean and in good condition and that food handlers didn’t have proper training in “relevant hygiene matters”.

Meow.

Worth it for the novelty chips in a mug?

It is alleged that the diner and bar breached food hygiene rules in February last year.

Alley Cat say that the allegations, which they will be challenging in court, refer to the venue pre-renovation.

On Facebook they said the allegations “do not apply to Alley Cat as our customers know and love it today.”

On Tuesday Alley Cat posted on their Facebook to refute the claims and “reassure all of our customers that we are committed to providing first-class food and service.”

The popular bar continued: “Our hygiene standards have been rated as satisfactory by Environmental Health and we continue to work with authorities to complete regular inspections, as any responsible food business should.”

History third year and Alley Cat enthusiast Grainne McKinney said the news was “surprising”.

She added: “It wouldn’t put me off getting drinks there, and the staff are always really nice.”