St Mary’s petition aims to #savetheranch

Hundreds protest claiming ‘This wouldn’t happen at Hogwarts’

30% closure cuts Farry fund St Marys

A rally was held outside St Mary’s today opposing proposed cuts to the teacher training college linked to QUB.

A petition has been set up to protest against proposed cuts in funding and to #savetheranch.

The proposed staggering 31% loss of budget would likely see the eventual closure of the specialist college.

Teaching student Noel Bradley-Johnston was outraged at the proposed slash to funding.

He said: “Dr Farry has gone ahead with his plans despite being advised not to on a number of occasions by independent bodies. It’s just a slap in the face.

“It’s going to have a detrimental effect on students and schools across Northern Ireland, unless we fight back.”

A petition to save the college has been started by International Politics and conflict studies student Ronan McLaughlin and has gained 6,165 signatures to date.

An open letter from the student body at St Mary’s to Dr Farry outlines the reasons why students feel the funding cuts are unfair

“Last year 94% of its graduating students went onto work or further study.

If these cuts were to be implemented then St Mary’s would no longer be a viable institution and would have to close its doors.

We believe that the cuts to St Mary’s should be proportional to the cuts proposed to both Queen’s University and University of Ulster which in around the 10% mark.”

A loss in funding would also affect Queen’s, Ulster and Stranmillis College, but to much lesser extents given the large size of these academic powerhouses.

Second year Elisia Woods, who was at today’s protest, said: “St Mary’s has the highest student satisfaction rate in the uk with an impressive number of 96%.

“Education is the most powerful tool we have on this earth and to cut down a quality university is ridiculous.”

Queens student and ally of the petition Mary Laverty got to the heart of the issue. “Who will go to The Bot and The Fly if they have to shut down St Marys?”