Bad news Belfast: City dwellers more at risk of cancer

Maybe the country isn’t so bad after all…

8% belfast cancer disease research risen

If you live in Belfast, the chances of contracting cancer is 8% higher than those living elsewhere in Northern Ireland.

Research carried out by Queen’s University’s Northern Ireland Cancer Registry has revealed that cancer levels have risen over 30% in 20 years.The ageing population plus a growth in smoking levels were included in some of the factors contributing to the rise.

Shocking figures published in the report showed that the average number of cases diagnosed (excluding skin cancer) ranged from 513 in Fermanagh and Omagh to a massive 1,688 in Belfast.

Experts have predicted a terrifying outcome,stating that a new storey would have to be built on the Belfast Cancer Centre every 15 years to cope with patient levels.

Belfast had the highest range of cancer diagnoses,with lung cancer, stomach cancer, cervical cancer, head and neck cancer, kidney cancer and liver cancer being the most common.

Derry and Strabane were most at risk from lung and stomach cancer, with other areas in the province claiming colorectal and pancreatic as their most frequent cancer diagnoses.

However treatment and survival rates have also risen, and Dr Anna Gavin, director of the Registry, has said the research has provided “valuable insight”.