Best alternative nights out in Belfast

Let’s be honest, you’re sick of clubbing

drinks night out non club

A good night out doesn’t have to involve groping, grinding or Ariana Grande. We present the best of the non-club scene here in Belfast.

Maybe you don’t drink. Maybe you’re a mature second year who is so over Limelight. Or maybe it’s Wednesday.

Either way here’s a list of the best nights out in Belfast that won’t leave you with sore feet or a pulled hamstring.

Bingo

WHERE? The Parlour Bar

WHEN? Wednesdays 9.30pm

WHO? It’s only DJ DANNY DEE.

We know what you’re thinking – “You can’t go to Bingo, it’s social suicide” Your granny goes to bingo.

Well you’re wrong. Very wrong. Student favourite The Parlour has truly reclaimed this competitive, lucrative and amazing sport.

With phrases such as “I’ve done your Mum”, “life begins at 40” and “almost outta time, 89” accompanying the calls, Bingo is exactly the kind of cheesy fun-fest you need to pick you up midweek.

Grab a bunch of your nearest and dearest, head early enough to order in a few cocktail jugs and then sit back and wait for the iconic DJ to set up and do his thing.

For any Bingo-Virgins out there, he meticulously explains the rules  – only for it all to go to pot when you realise that there is indeed an art to crossing out numbers and keeping yourself together enough to work out if you’ve won one of the coveted prizes. Although the earlier rounds aren’t particularly high-stake there is a cash prize at the end of up to £180.

If you go often enough you can practically call it employment.

WARNING: Your friends may hate you after.

Pub Quiz

WHERE? Everywhere.

WHEN? Every night.

WHO? Everyone. (Warning, quizzes usually involve incomprehensible, softly spoken MCs.)

Belfast is famous for it’s pub quizzes. There are entire Twitter feeds dedicated to the daily offerings of quizzes covering the bizarre to the blatant. Some you pay into, others are free. Some you can win big at, others… not so much. But it’s still fun.

From Empire to the Speakeasy, Cuckoo to Parlour, all the best bars will run at least one per week.

Music rounds are a given, general knowledge rounds will bring out sides to people you didn’t know existed and if Cuckoo’s recent section on ‘Famous Roberts’ is anything to go by, you may just surprise yourself when you realise you are smarter than you previously thought.

And if not you can drown your sorrows with exorbitantly priced beer.

Free pints for coming second last – what more do you need?

The Christmas Market 

WHERE? City Hall

WHEN? All the way through to the 21st December, opening late Thursday – Sunday.

It’s the most wonderful time of the year…

The market is not shit, despite what some say.

It’s a spectacular display of festiveness and you will love it just as much the 800th time as you did when you first walked in through those gates and smelt the mulled sausage-y goodness.

Admittedly, it would take everything you’ve ever won at bingo ever to have even one truly fantastic night here. But after a semester of bleeding Belfast’s bars dry, just walking around and taking in all the unaffordable loveliness can be fun.

On Wednesdays we drink pink.

Pop-up Cinema Club

WHERE? Mandela Hall

WHEN? You never know when it’s gonna pop up… (Sorry)

The QUB SU Pop-Up Popcorn Cinema Cub may have the longest title ever, but settling down to watch a film in Mandela Hall is actually a lot more fun than you cool kids think.

The films on offer are always diverse and iconic. There’s a vote leading up to the event, the most popular film being shown, and the bar is open. Which means it’s fun.

Smuggling level: Expert.

If you want an even more retro vibe (and have a car) you can also check out the Christmas Drive-In Movie events being held around the city.

Live music

WHERE? Pretty much every pub in Belfast.

The local music scene has really come into prominence over recent years. With events such as QR Sessions and OXJAM happening frequently, a night of musical entertainment is never far from your door.

Abominably cheap, such nights have spawned cult classics such as BATTL’s hit “Are You Telling Me It’s Over” all for less than a fiver.

Instead of spending your hard earned cash on club entry and kebabs you get an experience that will stay with you forever.

Also worth a go are open mic nights and karaoke, which again can be found in almost every corner of Belfast. They’re even better if you can’t sing.

Comedy

WHERE? Bar Sub and Empire are among the forerunners for holding such events.

From Queen’s Radio Haha to Comedy at the Empire, there is a wealth of big names and up and coming local acts playing around Belfast every week. No matter what your taste there will be something out there to make you chuckle in the midst of pre-exam meltdown.

You never know what you might find in Bar Sub…

Your mate’s house

The cheapest of any option (unless Dominoes is brought up), there will always be something you can do with your friends to amuse yourself.