Queen’s: the crown jewel of Universities

Let’s ignore how excellent we are at research, development, academia and award-winning, because that’s boring (though we really are very good)

craic Holylands qub queens

It’s hard to remember life before Queen’s, right?

UCAS applications are a distant memory, and you’re now comfortable enough to go to the McClay in your oldest,ugliest pair of sweats.

As term draws to a close we can reflect on the reasons why Queen’s is definitely, 100%, without doubt the best University you could go to.

Swall

If there’s something Queen’s students do well, it’s drink.

QUB is located perfectly for the budding alcoholic. Right beside busy Botanic avenue and just 15 minutes away from the city center or Cathedral Quarter. This means if you’re searching for a student night, you don’t have to look far.

Our Union boasts an impressive five venues, and there’s always something going on every night of the week, be it a pub quiz or a gig in the infamous Mandella Hall.

That said, if our Union doesn’t tickle your fancy,two minutes away there’s The Eg, The Bot, Parlour,Filthies, Madisons…to name a few.

The close proximity to all our clubs means that taxis aren’t strictly necessary, though if you get the right sort of taxi man, your journey to a club can sometimes be the most entertaining part of the night.

The Holylands

The Holylands isn’t just a student area, it’s a way of life.

The academics at Queen’s might disagree, but our place in the world rankings (31st out of 123, just sayin’) isn’t that important when you’re considering where you’ll be spending three years of your life.

If your budget can’t quite stretch to the luxury of Stranmillis, the Holylands is a perfectly acceptable alternative.

There’s always some sort of madness occurring,be it a house party or a burglary. Living in the Holylands is interesting to say the least.

Botanic Park

There’s no better feeling than lying on the grass in Botanic on a summers day.

Building the library right beside the park maybe wasn’t the best idea, but for students it’s the perfect place to pretend your assignments aren’t due yet.

Botanic is ideal for when you need a bit of head space (see the above image), or if you decide a game of football is more important than finishing an essay.

Idyllic.

The PEC

We tried to do an article outlining the negatives of the PEC, and we literally couldn’t find any.

If The Tab can’t find something wrong,that means the PEC is doing a pretty good job.

Plus, really hot people train there.

The Students

You could end up this respectable

There are an insane amount of societies one can join at Queen’s, and more sports clubs than you can count on one hand.

We’re a friendly bunch at Queen’s,and it shows when we consider that 1/3 of our students are international.

It’s not just the fact we’re in the top 1% of Universities in the world, and our graduate employment rate is one of the highest in the UK at 75%, the student body makes a difference.

Show me another university that has a Pirate as their SU President.

We’re just excellent craic really.