Alarms cause alarm in McClay library

Everyone was massively annoyed they couldn’t get stuck into studying

alarms cold fire library mcclay outside

Disaster struck the McClay library yesterday as fire alarms caused a mass exodus from the building.

At around 1pm yesterday fire alarms shook the building, causing an emergency evacuation to be put in place.

Nicole McFall,a History student at Queen’s, was eagerly on her way to begin some of her assignments when she was greeted with an angry crowd lingering around the library.

The horror, the horror!

Nicole says: “Instead of getting to grips with my assignments, I was greeted by a mass amount of angry and very cold students outside the Library.

“It was a huge inconvenience to me.”

Yesterday saw some of the coldest, wettest, windiest weather we’ve had so far this term and it was in these shocking conditions students were left outside to shiver while their possessions stayed comfortably within the library.

The alert lasted a mammoth fifteen minutes.

Devastated first year Nicole says: “Everyone was unprepared and frustrated. Nobody was told what was going on.

“My friends were confused, they were just all uprooted from their studies.”

Niamh Latimer was also left bewildered by the shocking malfunction. The History student says: “I was there.

“I was waiting on a friend, next thing I know the fire alarm goes off. I noticed it took students a while to react but then they all started pouring out.”

Last week we reported on how the McClay trapped students inside following a dramatic malfunction in the turnstile system.

Library lockdown caused a fairly long queue

With assignment season drawing near these are the sort of distractions students can do without.

We can only hope that in the future all Queen’s students can happily attend the McClay without the fear of being trapped in or outside for time periods that could be spent waiting for your computer to load so you can waste three hours on Facebook.