Halloween assault in University Square

A 19-year-old man is currently in hospital being treated for ‘serious facial injuries’

exclusive

Halloween revellers returning home were shocked to find University Square cordoned off by by police following an assault sometime in the early hours of this morning.

At approximately 2.10am police received a report that a 19-year-old man had been assaulted by another man in a group of three males.

Detective Constable Steven Weatherald said: “The 19-year-old man is currently receiving hospital treatment for serious facial injuries which are not believed to be life-threatening.”

It is not yet known if he is a student at QUB.

Police at the scene

The area remained cordoned off by PSNI at 3.40am this morning, when many students were shocked by the scenes as they returned home from Halloween partying.

Scenes at University Square at 4:10am

Police are currently appealing for information on for the man who carried out the assault and the group he was with.

He is described as being tall, in his early 20’s with short dirty fair hair and wearing a dark green t-shirt. One of the other men was dressed in an orange jumpsuit and the third was dressed in a dark jacket and top hat.

The attack happened on the street next to the Lanyon building

Students returning home from Halloween parties through the area last night were shocked to see the crime scenes so close to campus.

Law second year Tiernan McKenna said: “It annoys me that people on a night out are unable to walk home  safely, especially in their own city and university.”