Society stereotypes: No smoke without fire?

What do you know about dragon slaying?

dragonslayers Equestrian GAA rugby societies

Ever wondered who hides behind the Dragonslayers costumes? Or whether you actually have to own a horse to join the Equestrian club?

We all have preconceptions about certain societies. Now we thought it was time to separate fact from fiction.

Here we bust the myths around some of QUB’s most popular clubs.

Dragonslayers

Meet the Dragonslayers: Queen’s most mysterious society. You’re probably thinking that just because you don’t know what a Shadow Elf Shaman is and have never even heard of Minecraft then this society is something you want to steer clear of.

But the ‘Slayers offer a diverse and entertaining range of activities that you might just enjoy if you gave them a chance.

Secretary Shannen Hewitt says: “We do consoles, board gaming, table top gaming, card gaming, anime showings weekly. If it’s a little bit nerdy we’ve probably got it.”

President Keith Frizzell adds: “There is a great misconception that we are sort of the scary nerds who like to sit in the dark and play computer games, but we’re really not.

“We are probably one of, if not the most diverse societies you will find.”

They are unashamedly nerdy but also very welcoming and social. The Dragonslayers offer heaps of variety to cater to all echelons of geekdom.

Geek chic exists for a reason- why not give them a go? For God’s sake, even Vin Diesel plays Dungeons and Dragons.

The Equestrian Club

Equestrianism has always faced accusations of snobbery. Many feel that it is a minority sport only accessible to those who insist on having a full-bodied glass of port with their assorted cheeses.

But team Captain Hannah Henderson maintains that these stereotypes are quickly becoming redundant and insists that the society is for everybody, regardless of whether you summer in Tuscany or Tandragee.

She says: “Loads of people think, ‘Oh, I need a horse to get involved.’ Not at all. We provide all of the equipment and everything.

“So literally you just turn up and we will look after you, and that is what is good about this club. It’s a cheap way to get into the sport.”

The club caters to those of all abilities and lessons are surprisingly reasonable. No horse? No problem.

The Dodgeball Club

If you’re thinking that Dodgeball is just like the film then you’re sort of right.

Team member Ollie Hamilton-Brown concedes: “The rules are quite similar.

“It leads people to want to play but at the same time it leads people to make fun if it.”

Fellow dodge-baller Johnny McAllister admits that the films popularity has its pros and cons.

He says: “It’s kind of like our biggest asset and at the same time our biggest flaw.”

On the topic of the sport being seen as a children’s game by many Johnny says: “Especially in Northern Ireland, people see Dodgeball as not really a sport.

But over in England there are multiple leagues with different divisions and every uni would have a team.”

Sounds pretty legit then. If you are interested why not give it a go? Just remember: dodge, duck, dip, dive and dodge.

The Rugby Club

Rugby has a reputation of being elitist and for boys firmly embedded in “Lad culture”. Scrum-Half Chris insists that these accusations are unfair.

He says: “I am from Wigan over in England, which is all Rugby League. As far as Union is concerned, they all see Union as an upper class sport.”

Chris says this is not the case here. Queen’s has five teams that cater to people of all abilities and skills.

He adds: “There are so many teams people who have never played before can just sign up, train for a couple of weeks and start off in the forth or fifths maybe.

“As you improve the coach will look at you and maybe move you up the board.”

So if you’re not 6’2″ and built like a brick shit-house there’s no need to fear. Just remember that Shane Williams was only 5’7″. Although he was a lot faster than you are.

Queen’s GAA 

If you weren’t raised with a hurl in your hand or spent Sundays in Croke Park then you probably think the GAA isn’t for you.

You couldn’t be more wrong.

Gaelic Football club chairman Michael Cunningham insists that the membership has been diversifying lately and it doesn’t matter where you’re from or what you’re about.

He says: “We’ve had five or six boys from England who have never even played Gaelic and we’ve actually one guy from Germany who signed up just out of interest.”

Hurley, Gaelic Football and Camogie are for everyone, not just those who could navigate a Gaelic pitch before they could walk.

Michael adds: “There are three teams for both freshers and seniors so every ability is catered for. We’d love for people to give it a go, whether they’re new to the sport or semi-pro.”