Joyless uni bans ‘Spotted at QUB’ and photos in McClay

Does this mean we can’t take selfies too?

| UPDATED at banned photos qub spotted

Students have been warned that taking photographs of other people in the McClay library is a “breach of privacy” and is “totally unacceptable”.

Spotted at QUB has 17,285 likes on Facebook, but if there was a ‘hate’ button, the administration at Queen’s would be clicking on it.

Freshers were told at their library introduction that “last year there was a fad of taking pictures of people who didn’t know they were getting photographed and that it was completely unacceptable to take pictures of people without direct consent of that person.”

New warnings have also appeared in ominous screensavers on all McClay computers.

Law first year Colleen Lanigan says it was clear the killjoy library technicians who announced the ‘photo ban’ at the introductory meeting were talking about the hugely popular Facebook page.

“It was really obvious that’s what she was talking about, we all laughed when it was brought up. Everyone knew she was talking about Spotted.”

Spotted: helping to catch cheats

Too much fuss over a bit of fun? We talked to a few first years at the library introductory session to find out more.

Fresher Emily, who was at the meeting, says: “The library girl said taking photos was a breach of privacy and there was a serious safety issue because the library is opened late.

“I think it’s a bit of fun and shouldn’t be taken too seriously but I don’t think people should be made to feel uncomfortable from it.”

However she did also admit:  “It can make a safe study area kinda creepy.”

Some people are oblivious their image has been used. Some people shouldn’t bring a suitcase to the library.

Geography second year Carla says: “I think spotted is a good laugh and this is a craic-killer.

“What else will I laugh at when I’m not at uni?”

Just asking for it really

Spotted, which has a massive 9,000 more likes than the official QUBSU Facebook page, and 6,000 more than the Facebook page for the uni, thinks they are just being vindicated for their popularity.

The anonymous admin said: “Clearly they’re not happy with us being the filling in the Queen’s University Facebook sandwich.

“Why anyone would seek to turn the peace and tranquility of the McClay into a police state is beyond me.”

Ooh, so controversial, so dangerous