Careful now: QUB Sinn Fein smash their 600 signature target for United Ireland referendum

A nation waits with baited breath. Or just continues on with Freshers Fortnight

belfast controversy council news politics qub referendum Sinn Fein student su

At the Freshers’ Fair today the group were canvassing for students to sign their petition which will see a referendum take place at the next SU Council meeting.

The referendum will take place  under the title “Should Ireland be a united and independent country?”

QUB Sinn Fein want the Student’s Union to specifically support a United Ireland.  

A total of 600 signatures were required in order for the petition to be valid and this number has been smashed, with the petition gaining the names of 750 Queen’s Students.

Whether the referendum will pass, or go down as another doomed attempt like the movement to ban the sale of Remembrance Day Poppies in SU last yea remains to be seen.

The group plans on recounting and verifying every signature tomorrow, campaigning will then take place over the next eight to twelve days.

If you want to sign up to do something life-changing, give The Tab your email address at Freshers’ Fair tomorrow.