Meningitis scare: Freshers named most ‘at risk’ of contracting deadly disease

Thousands told to visit their doctor to lower their risk of contracting the life-threatening illness

fear injection meningitis sick vaccine

Freshers have been named the most ‘at risk’ group of contracting meningitis, just as new students begin classes at QUB this week.

Over 23,000 students have now been advised to visit their GP to receive a potentially life-saving immunization.

New students have been cited as the group most “at risk” and with thousands of freshers beginning university today, the danger of infection spreading is high.

‘Fresher’s Flu’ often runs rampant at this time of year, but with the symptoms of meningitis being scarily similar to that of the common flu it is vital that every student ensures they are protected.

Any first-time university student under the age of 25 who has not yet received the meningococcal C vaccine has been urged to contact their GP as soon as possible.

Meningitis, not be confused with the less serious Fresher’s Flu

Dr Michael McBride warns there is an  ” increased risk is to first-year students, particularly in the first few weeks of university” and encourages freshers to attend their GP clinics as soon as possible.

Aoife O’Hagan, a Social Work student at Queen’s, has been personally affected by meningitis.

“It’s a very scary illness. Even if you come away with no physical side effects it has an affect emotionally and mentally. It takes a while for all the family to recover- I still don’t like thinking about it.”

Students are advised to get the vaccination as soon as possible

Meningitis is an infection that can lead to serious damage to the nerves and brain. The symptoms can include a severe headache, vomiting, sensitivity to light and pale,blotchy skin.

A red rash may also appear on the skin which doesn’t fade or change color when a glass is pressed to it.

The Department of Health has launched a mass innoculation programme, and while freshers are advised to have the vaccine at least two weeks before they’re due to start university, it’s not too late to be vaccinated.

This year’s programme will run until October, and next year’s will run between June and October, with students being advised to contact their GP as soon as they finish their exams in 2015.