5 reasons you should volunteer abroad this summer

The first few weeks of summer are brilliant; we can (legitimately now there’s no class) lie in bed all day. Why should you do anything different?

abroad holiday summer volunteer

We’ve all heard of Camp America and been heckled by that shouting woman who runs into lectures at the beginning of every semester.

However,me and my housemate reckoned we would be spontaneous and try something completely different.  Morocco seemed suitably alternative so we headed off on a holiday which would involve a little more work and a little less lying by the pool.

Sounds tough but there are some definite bonuses to volunteering abroad in the summer instead of getting wrecked in Magaluf.

Essential plane selfie.

1. It’s a nice thing to do…

Well the most obvious reason to volunteer is because it is a lovely thing to do and it makes you feel special. We spent our time working at an orphanage and it was amazing to work with these children by the end we all felt like a big happy family.

A morning spent doing arts and crafts instead of a crippling hangover.

1. It’s a new experience…

We  had 50 degree heat every day and forgot what it felt like not to sweat. We had to walk everywhere or risk the traffic in Marrakech.

There are no lanes, no speed limits, no give ways and 7 people per taxi (in a 4 person car). Terrifying and smelly, but downright brilliant.

1. You get to live alongside a different culture

We experienced amazing food, mainly tagines.   Haggling in the souks was the scariest yet funniest thing we could do on the trip.

It was a pain in the ass coming home and paying full price for items.

You won’t find this in Chip Company

1. There’s so much to see in a new country

We spent most of our time doing some form of work, whether it be playing with orphans, or painting the local school.

However, on our days off we were able to do whatever we wanted.  Trips to the Sahara desert and the Ouzoud Waterfalls are a pretty sweet way to spend your weekend.

Sinead Kelly attempting to dodge a camel.

5. You might never get the chance to do it again

Let’s be realistic.  In a few years we won’t be at uni anymore and will be adults with adult responsibility.

The right sort of attitude is: ‘Bollocks, let’s just go’.

I can honestly say that even two week of volunteering abroad will put everything into perspective for you as you see how different lifestyles are lived around the world.

So get your bags packed!

Look how much fun we’re all having