Should we all have bikini bodies for summer?

We chatted to a few of you about whether we should let magazine models tell us dictate we should look

Girls, you know the deal. You’re in the Union shop by the magazine section, holding your Mars bar, and then you see it: the magazine section decorated with the bikini bodies of A-list celebrities. That once-insignificant Mars in your hand now adopts a whole new weighty meaning.

Is it right that these inanimate objects can make the way we see our selves so differently? The media automatically assumes that the slender and ‘perfect’ celebrity body shape is desired by all girls.

Is this really what we should all be working towards?

This not only promotes one type of body shape but it also puts huge pressure on girls to look like the A list celebrities in their summer bikinis.  So just how many people are willing to ditch the pot noodles and frozen waffles to look like Mischa Barton and Beyonce?

Students of QUB, help me out here.

Rachel, 1st year, English: “When I look at covers of magazines it’s nearly always about getting the perfect body for summer; or getting the flat stomach and a swimsuit that flattens your body type.  This idea of the ‘perfect body’ shows a narrow definition of beauty in our culture.  We should wear what we want with no fear of being judged by others”

3 Catríona (right) and Callum (middle, duh)

Caitríona, 2nd year, Law and Politics (+ Cheerleading captain, guys): “I just think that magazines and celebrities put unrealistic pressure on not just girls but guys as well. And that there’s no such thing as the perfect beach body but what suits you and you feel confident and comfortable with. That people come in all shapes and sizes and what seems perfect to someone may be viewed as quite the opposite to another!”

Callum, 1st year, Zoology (+ Guy’s perspective): “I think it is vital to express that we don’t look for people based on their shape or size but their attitude. We want determined people to join up regardless of their body. Both men and women feel the pressure to be fit and healthy and although we promote a healthy lifestyle we don’t require stick thin athletes.”

Karl, Sociology: “I think the ‘beach body’ image is harmful to everyone who doesn’t have it. This includes men, women, disabled people etc. Simply as it is constantly represented as power & authority – and not merely in serial terms. Last year I was in the gym a lot and over the summer walked around topless when the weather was good and it made me feel pretty good too. Now I don’t have the time for the gym and I most definitely would not take my top off at the beach. This makes me feel pretty bad! Pathetic even!”

Marianne, 3rd year, Creative writing: “If you want to up your fitness or make a lifestyle change I think setting a goal is a good thing. However everybody’s goal is different and the bikini body fad doesn’t account for this.

It puts far too much pressure on girls to reach a goal of what the media portrays as the ideal appearance and focuses on things like weight instead of health and fitness (the two aren’t always synonymous) giving out a potentially damaging message.

If you think the portrayal of ‘perfect’ woman or body types in the media doesn’t impact self-esteem issues in girls, quite simply, you’re wrong. I also want to say that if you don’t want to up your fitness or make a lifestyle change that’s great too – do what you want and look how you want!”

Want to tell us your view? Leave us a comment, tweet us @TheTabBelfast or email [email protected] to get involved!