10 Things you thought you’d never do… Until you moved into Elms

Everything from constantly locking yourself out and burning all your attempts at edible food. Ah Elms. Home sweet home.

For many of us, the idea of moving into Elms Village and living away from home for the first time led to many b-e-a-utiful images of independent life, great nights out with friends and the satisfaction of not having your parents nagging you for every little thing. But the reality was a little… different

1. Fitting three (or more) people in a single bed

It’s the end of a long night and you’ve made it all the way back to Elms. But your friends from Rowan decide they live too far away to walk home and you, you lucky sod, you live in Ash. You walk into your bedroom after downing the mandatory pint of cure-water to find they’ve already cosied up under the duvet… What’s left to do except take off the heels and squeeze in beside them?

2. Lock Yourself Out Of Your Own Home 22 Times In As Many Weeks

You probably know how it feels – walking out, making sure the door is shut properly before patting your pocket and groaning as you realise you’ve locked yourself out. Nothing else for it, you’ll have to make the trip of shame to the reception desk and join the line of students all sporting towels, dressing gowns, and an array of shoes that don’t fit them.

Not again…

3. Order Dominos To Your Door At 4am, And Fall Asleep Before It Arrives

As someone once said “What drunk person gets home and thinks, oh I’ll have a salad?” Despite your best intentions to stick to that healthy eating plan, while under the influence the only thing that will satisfy you are carbs. And lots of them.  Of course, the problem with ordering food whilst sailing the steam boat is that you often get very tired… And wake up in the morning curled up on the sofa, your pizza box lying empty beside you thanks to your lovely flat mates.

4. Become Practically Fluent In Greek, Manx And So Much More

One of the advantages of living in Elms village is getting the chance to make friends with international students, especially if they happen to be from France, or Greece (#holidaysorted). As a result you soon start to pick up a few of their words and phrases, and before you know it you can barely speak English properly.

5. Order A Taxi For A Journey You Could Walk Quicker

Let’s face it: heels hurt and when it comes down to it you don’t want to ruin your hair and makeup hobbling down that steep steep hill that definitely doesn’t leave you ‘sans souci’. Plus fonacab will come right to your door and it isn’t that expensive…

6. Put Waffles On To Cook Then Realise The Only Thing You Have To Eat With Them Are Chips

Yum, a balanced diet

The ultimate culinary experience, feeding stomachs and stereotypes all around!

7. Make Your Room Into A Mini Kitchen Because The Actual One Is So Far Away

Hanging or not, the distance from any bed to the kitchen is unbearable. Best to stock up and have it waiting for you when you wake up.

8. Go From Being Best Friends Forever With Your Flatmates To Not Seeing Them For Weeks On End

“I love you guys let’s live together next year and FOREVER after that.” Ok, so it was Freshers and love was in the air, but really can no one say ‘hello’ anymore?!

Cue tumbleweed

9. Have A Cashier FETCH You Peanut M&Ms At 3am

After the initial confusion of wondering why the Spar on the Malone road says that it is open latebut shuts at 10pm, it is a joyous discovery to find out about ‘the window’. The excitement of wandering up to that glowing glass portal for the first time only to discover that you can indeed ask for anything (and as many things) in the shop as you want, and the cashier will have to go and fetch it all for you – it is an unmatchable pleasure to a drunk girl who just wants chocolate. And the smile on their faces as they tend to your drunken needs – magical.

10. Cry With Happiness At The Sight Of Restaurant Food

No matter how hard you try, or what you (attempt to) make, it’s just never the same as how your Mum makes it. Every once in a while, one takes the notion to splurge on a meal out, but be warned – for some the excitement is too much.

Much food. Many wow