Student car set alight on the Falls Road

A female student awoke to find her car in flames during the early hours of Thursday morning

exclusive

A student’s car was burnt out in the Violet Street area of West Belfast in the early hours of Thursday morning.

It left her without transport on the morning of one of the most important days of her year.

Mary* told us “I woke up around 5 to 6 and just sensed something, and when I looked out, flames were up against the window!”

“It was terrifying! All of our bedrooms are at the front of the house so I had to wake everyone.”

After alerting the emergency services, she and her housemates had to leave their rooms at the front of the house as there was a real danger of the heat from the fire shattering their windows.

Mary* went on to say “After the fire itself was put out, I just felt complete disbelief and devastation. I mean, it wasn’t a top of the range car but it was my way of getting about, getting to work, and going home at the weekend to see the parents. I was just so angry that someone would do that!”

Despite being the victim of this vicious crime, she doesn’t let it affect her positive attitude, telling us “You know what, it could have been worse. It’s just a material possession.”

Inside the car was gutted by the fire

The Tab contacted the PSNI for a comment, who confirmed the details of the crime.

In a statement they said “Police in West Belfast are appealing for information after a report of a fire at the Violet Street area in the early hours of Thursday 27th March.

“Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service attended the scene and at this stage, the fire is believed to have been started deliberately.”

Anyone with information or who noticed the damage being caused is asked to contact police on the new non-emergency number 101.