Dodge, Duck, Dip, Dive and Dodge: Tab tries Dodgeball

Here at the Tab, we’re better than you. And we know it.

belfast dodgeball qub sport university sport

The Tab got a crash course in dodgeball from QUB’s own dodgeball team. Is the sport really as intense as Globo Gym makes it out to be?

Like most people I suspect, everything I knew about dodgeball I had learned from the film “Dodgeball.” It’s true that it’s an easy sport to pick up – there aren’t a load of complicated rules, chief among them being ‘don’t get hit by the ball!’ Obviously.

And fortunately for me, their training sessions in the PEC do not consist of throwing wrenches at each other.

Foam balls, not wrenches

I wasn’t sure what to expect, other than the sneaking suspicion I was going to get hit by some flying dodgeballs. And surprise surprise, I was proven right, lasting approximately 2.5 seconds into my first game. Impressive, I know.

What I wasn’t expecting was the level of skill and dedication on display. These people are good at dodgeball!  Whereas my rusty dodgeball skills are roughly at primary school level (I’m being generous here), QUB Dodgeball elevate it to an art form.

I had to pick my jaw off the floor at one point after seeing someone doing the splits in mid-air to avoid a dodgeball flying beneath them at bullet-speed.

Unsurprisingly, six of QUB Dodgeball’s members play internationally for Northern Ireland and they’re even sending 3 teams to Dublin this weekend to compete in the All Ireland Dodgeball Championship (Good luck!).

President Tom Gilmour leads QUB Dodgeball

Everyone was really helpful too, explaining to me some of the other rules (stay within the lines, catching the ball puts the other person out). Once I had become acquainted with the rules, I was well on my way to becoming a dodgeballer, although admittedly, not a very good one.

Getting ready to be taken out

However there’s more to it than throwing balls at each other. I learned all about different throwing techniques to ensure maximum speed and some interesting tactics too, that mostly involved ganging up on your opponents.

The speed at which dodgeballs were flying back and forth was impressive, and wondering “Is this what war is like?” led me to ask about dodgeball-related injuries. But I was assured that it’s very safe, with the worst that could happen being a broken finger. And even then, injuries like that are extremely rare.

…Although Aaron McClouskey, who joined QUB dodgeball after falling in love with it at freshers fair last year, told us the injuries never put anyone off. “One guy dislocated his shoulder and still comes. I dislocated my knee once and I still love it”. That’s dedication.

Aaron – dedicated dodgeballer and Boojum addict on the side

In addition to their competitive practice session on Mondays, QUB Dodgeball have a more recreational session on Wednesday afternoons, which in hindsight may have been more suited to my um, formidable skills.

Although my experience was less ducking and diving than getting pelted with dodgeballs, it was a great laugh and I’d highly recommend it!

Mess with me and there’s a 10% chance you’ll get hit with this ball