Brian O’Driscoll to receive honorary degree from QUB

Queens’ has just announced the twelve people who will be awarded this summer with an honorary degree, and of course King Brian O’Driscoll tops the list.

Unless you were living under a rock these past few days you will not have missed the delight of the Irish rugby fans as they celebrated winning the Six Nations tournament. Their win gave BOD the send-off he deserved as he played his last match before bowing out of the game entirely.

Now unsurprisingly, our beloved Brian is being awarded with an honorary degree at QUB for his services to the sporting world, or in lay man’s terms for being one of the greatest players ever (and pretty easy on the eye).

From UCD to QUB, BOD’s really going up in the world

The singer Katie Melua, who spent time growing up in Belfast and is popular for knowing how many bicycles there are in Beijing, will receive a degree for her contribution to music, even if it is only the over 50’s that listen to her.

Belfast born and raised actor Ciarán Hinds, also known as Aberforth Dumbledore or Mance Ryder to fans of Game of Thrones, will also receive recognition for his acting abilities from Queen’s, where for a short time he was a student of Law before leaving to pursue an acting career.

For distinction in Drama and Film Ciarán Hinds is being honored

Another name Queen’s students will recognise is Sir Peter Gregson who, up until August last year was our Vice Chancellor. So seemingly the university is awarding him for his ability to earn £200,000 a year whilst the fees for students almost trebled since he took the post in 2004, and obviously his contributions to higher education.

The other names on the list are being awarded for their work in the fields of science, education and media.