What’s On this St. Paddy’s Day

Every Sunday we sort out your social life by planning your ‘What’s On’ for the week. This week’s is a special St Patrick’s Day edition. Just in case you didn’t know what you’re doing this Monday (apart from being drunk), we’re here to help.

alcohol belfast comedy cuckoo guiness Parlour the limelight what's on

Paddy’s day this year in Belfast promises to be so great that most pubs aren’t doing anything special, just lots of drink and good music, Belfast style! We’ve scouted out some of the best (and cheapest) places for you to party on St Paddy’s, so that you can celebrate in style!

Saturday 15th March

Buy appropriate St Paddy’s attire

Get it in now, or be disappointed when you pop to the shop on Monday morning and find that green afro wigs and face paints are all sadly sold out.

You can buy all of the green things that you may want at the Student’s Union! It’s definitely cheaper than getting your St Paddy’s day outfit in one of the touristy Oirish shops in town (and probably closer to your house than Poundland).

If you’re feeling a bit more flush, Carroll’s Irish gift shop in Belfast city centre stock pretty much every costume and accessory you can think of for St. Patrick’s Day.

So. Much. Green.

Belfast Welcome Centre tourist information (opposite City Hall) also sells slightly more expensive, but still ridiculously cheesy knick-knacks.

Just what I needed, a singing Leprechaun.

St George’s Market also has St Paddy’s themed goodies for sale, like the traditional shamrock. Wrap it up in tinfoil and pin it to your jacket (before you start drinking).

After all that shopping (and a lot of pre-drinking) you’ll want to head out on Saturday night -as a warm up for Monday, of course. If you’re still awake and sober enough for the bouncers to let you in, check out these special club nights –

Disgraceland following Kodaline at The Stiff Kitten – £5 entry or free entry with Kodaline gig wristband!

Voodoo hosts Eat Static/Bandia + Mojo Dojo live

This St Patrick’s day extravaganza celebrates 25 years of eat static tonight! Get your tickets here , or check out the Facebook page for more details.

Sunday 16th March

St Patrick’s day Carnival Parade – For a drink-free, more cultural affair, you could go to the Carnival parade today which is leaving City Hall at 12 noon!

Themed as “St Patrick-to the future”, the carnival re-imagines St Patrick “as a time-travelling adventurer on a colourful journey to the future of Belfast”…

Then head to Filthy McNasty’s – Filthy’s has live music from 4-8pm and then a set of DJ’s in The Secret Garden and The Gypsy Lounge from 8 until late. Additionally, there is a BBQ and Irish stew being served all day and ALL drinks in the Gypsy Lounge after 9pm are £2.50!

Limelight hosts the slightly creepier Sunday night celebration with ‘Leprechaun’s Revenge’, which boasts an ‘evil Leprechaun freakshow’.

If you’d prefer something more traditionally Oirish, The Raparees perform the songs of The Dubliners at The Empire

If you want to save the party for tomorrow night- then try out the St Patrick’s Eve comedy riot at the Black Box tonight! Colin Geddis, Micky Bartlett (BBC’s Monumental) and others from the best of Northern Irish comedy are here. Doors open at 7.30pm and tickets cost £10.

Monday 17th March

Happy St Patrick’s day!!

It’s finally arrived. Skipping the obvious day long pre-drinks, here are some of the best pubs to spend your day off.

Probably best to write them down, you might not remember them on Monday.

Fibber Magees have traditional music coupled with a champ eating contest. Because what goes perfectly with too much alcohol? Competitively eating champ – what else?

Best champ eater wins potatoes. Obviously.

Or stick closer to home and head to Cuckoo. They’re offering £2 and live music today

Parlour has a FREE Hog Roast + Traditional music – From 4pm today in there Parlour, there will be a free hog roast served in the Backyard as well as there being live folk & traditional music! It’s also free entry all day today, with a DJ Jonny Miller on in the night from 9pm!

Or skip the champ and the hog roast and go straight to the £2.50 drinks promos with Club 137 Paddy’s day special at The Stiff Kitten

Tuesday March 18th

Well, you may not feel it today, but you made it out alive.

You know where to go today. After the weekend you will have had, you will most definitely, definitely deserve a Boojum!

Unfortunately, the queue will probably be a LOT worse this Tuesday…