Coke on campus: Traces of Class A drug found in McClay Library and other student hotspots

A recent random testing by The Tab of various campus sites and popular student nightclubs show traces of cocaine

| UPDATED bot cocaine coke cuckoo drugs testing eg exclusive mcclay Parlour pfc swabs Thompsons

Random Crackdown Testing swabs turn blue within two minutes where cocaine is present.

Our tests tested positive for traces of coke in popular student bar Cuckoo on on the Lisburn Road, busy nightclub Thompsons Garage, and shockingly, the McClay library.

Highlighted in circle, our photos show cocaine traces, indicated in blue.

Cuckoo

Thompsons Garage tested strongest out of all our locations.

Traces were also found right under our noses in McClay library.

The samples come from cubicles, chosen at random in the girls’ toilets of Cuckoo, Thompsons, and the ground floor of the McClay library at QUB.

Boys’ cleaned up a lot better – our tests came up negative for cocaine in the boys’ toilets of the Bot, Lanyon building and Parlour Bar – turns out it’s the happiest place in Belfast without chemical enhancements then.

No coke in fancy Lanyon toilets. How posh.

Parlour keepin’ it clean

Speakeasy Bar, Lavery’s, and closer to campus, Peter Froggatt Centre also came up negative for coke.

Whilst people might need a pick me up in McClay, it seems they’re getting along without Class A help in PFC.

Boys’ toilets in the SU came up spotless clean – well, for cocaine at least.

The Tab contacted Cuckoo, Thompsons and QUB for a response on our findings. Both Thompsons and the university were unavailable to comment. Cuckoo were the only ones to get back to us – in a statement, they thanked The Tab and told us:

“We take matters like this very seriously and operate a strict policy when it comes to drugs.

“Anyone who is known to have taken drugs onto the premises is immediately removed and barred.

“Our door team also carry out random searches upon entry.

“Fortunately, this policy has proved successful and we have had very little drug related issues since we took over the premises over a year and a half ago.

“We will continue to stay vigilant and ensure drugs do not appear in Cuckoo.”