Modern Art: Graffiti gems at QUB

Whether you think graffiti is art or vandalism there’s no denying that in everything from nightclubs, to street signs, and on the books of the McClay some downright hilarious scribbles can be found.

The Tab went on the hunt to find some of the best, funniest, and plain weirdest artwork around Belfast. Proving we do not leave the desire to tell the world who we love by writing it on a desk or drawing a penis on your mates book at school.

I see what you did there.

I found this first one whilst agonising over a dissertation proposal in the library. Simple, yet so effective.

Clearly someone was feeling nostalgic when they practiced these bad boy versions of the letter “S” into a Norton anthology…

If this doesn’t bring you back to the 90’s nothing will

These next few were sent into the now infamous “Spotted at QUB” Facebook page and they truly highlight the plight of stressed students trying to find the light at the end of the assignment filled tunnel.

The glass is half full for whoever scribbled this…

But some undercover Jordanstown agent bit back:

We’ve been infiltrated

Does this next scrawl find the root of all Northern Ireland’s political problems?

In fairness he has got us 2 days off Uni now solely for drinking…

The next few pieces of handiwork were found in the toilets of student favourite The Parlour. Some possibly are a bit deep for a night out but are nonetheless profound pieces of art.

Cheer up mate..

Watch your back Life Church, we’ve found a hater. Those Capitals.

It’s not all doom and gloom in The Parlour though, apparently Tanya was an Avatar and I’m guessing she loved it from this bold 2012 statement which is dated only 3 years after the Avatar hype ended.

You go Tan!

These next 2 pieces of graffiti are personal favourites of mine as I am adamant that my housemates are to blame for both. The first one is a classic declaration of love found in the Union toilets, poor lighting aside (I was definitely drunk) I think it’s pretty clear Niamh loves ML.

At least one ML out there has found love…

Can I report this as a hate crime? Written a year ago it can still be seen in all it’s eyeliner glory in Box toilets.

“Mlav has a penis” Slanderous lies!

And finally to show that even at University people never tire of the classic penis graffiti, as seen in the MBC…

I don’t care what anyone says, penis drawings are STILL funny

Spotted some more examples of excellent Belfast ‘streetart’? Leave us a comment, or tweet us @TheTabBelfast