The Ultimate Student Slacker Guide

Students have officially sussed out how to be a slacker, but are you as bad as this?

So 2 weeks back at uni after the end of exams and we have already broken our ‘new semester resolutions’ of attending lectures, going to the gym and the ‘only having one’ drinking session. But what are we now doing with our time?

Sleeping

I am leaving this duvet for no class

To those poor students who have 9am starts, all students send out their sympathies! 9 am is a time for hard-core workers earning £100,000s but it is not a time for the penniless student. We need this morning time to sleep and recover from last night’s student antics. In fact, we need all day to recover from being slackers; who would have thought that doing nothing is so exhausting?! Maybe next Monday we will have recovered enough energy to make at least a few hours of lectures.

Contemplating the Meaning of Life

What every slacker secretly loves is a good gossip. Sitting down in the kitchen with a cup of tea (made by someone else, clearly) and discussing the local politics of the ridiculous Elms security or the decision of what tonight’s carry out should be. If it gets into real politics or into uni work then that is just as good because you’re discussing things of great importance, learning a lot from others and that therefore justifies not going to class doesn’t it?!

Channel Hopping

Slacker decision – which console today?

You know you are a slacker when you sit in front of the TV and just flick through channel after channel and then return to the beginning. But a true student slacker knows the exact time of every programme and if there is nothing worth watching, slackers know that E4 is channel 28 on Freeview. Channel 4 even have a club dedicated to us slackers!

Partying

This is something all students do best, but slackers have perfected it to a tee. Slackers know when is best to book taxis before the mad rush, miss the massive queue into BOX as well as inform you of all the drink deals. Why? Because a slacker will do anything, including looking up the Belfast clubs on the internet, in order to avoid going to class.

Eating

We rarely have money to afford making our own gourmet meal but we always have money for a take away. Be it Boojum, Sunshine or The Chip Company (though Dominos may be breaking the bank a little bit!), if we want it, we will have it. No cooking, no washing up and all we have to do is make a bit of a decision between beef or pork burrito! Pure slacking. Obviously we say it’s a treat because we attended 3 out of our 10 lectures this week. Work hard, play harder as we slackers believe.

Every slackers dream

So there we have it, some serious slacking activities. Maybe you aren’t as bad as these but you have definitely wondered about pulling a sickie to get out of class – and that means that you are a student slacker. Welcome to the club!