Who needs Romance when you’ve got #Shiftnominate?

First Neknoms, then RAK Noms (Random act of Kindness, yeah), now Shiftnoms. Please stop.

belfast Holylands neknoms qub shiftnoms

It’s only February and 2014 has already been a helluva year for nominations.

First Neknoms drove the youth of Ireland to dangerous extremes – The Tab reported just this week on a QUB Law graduate who enraged animal protection groups by downing a goldfish – and now a new sick craze is taking the students of Belfast by storm.

That’s right, #shiftnominate.

The craze is believed to have originated in the Republic of Ireland, with students already enjoying nominated ‘shifting’ at UCD, UL and NUIG. And the QUB page already has its spinoff, the equally romantic Holylands Shiftnominate.

A farmer AND he’ll do anal? Looks like I’ve found Mr. Right.

Set up this month with the aim of uniting lonely student singletons and “Bringing joy to south Belfast this Valentine’s Day” the QUB Shiftnominate Facebook page has amassed over two thousand likes in less than a week, and attempted some seriously dodgy matchmaking.

Dr Ice, Ice baby.

Another eligible bachelor of #shiftnominate

Unfortunately (or fortunately) the Facebook Cupid has announced its retirement yesterday, sending the single students of south Belfast into a panic over their scuppered Valentine’s plans. Whether national outrage and high demand for ‘shifts’ will drive the page to reopen and continue matchmaking remains to be seen.

This Is The End. Or is it?

So, #neknoms or #shiftnoms – which is worse?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkEimy0xGTk[/youtube]

(As a Belfast native I only found out what ‘shifting’ was from this video, and all these Facebook pages left me feeling very confused…)

Leave us a comment or tweet us your views (or testimonials to the pulling power of shiftnominations) @TheTabBelfast.