QUB Law Graduate: I’m sorry for drinking a goldfish for my Neknomination

Queen’s University Belfast law graduate Rachel Carey apologises after consuming a goldfish in her #NekNomination video.

After the recent and vastly escalating online ‘#NekNomination’ craze, the RSPCA and ISCPA have been forced to issue a warning to participants of the online craze, after receiving numerous complaints, that consumption of live animals, (including goldfish) is against the law.

Think necking a fish is bad, check out the zebra they skinned to make her knickers…

RSPCA wildlife scientist Nicola White said: “We are extremely concerned about this shocking new trend. Eating a live animal and posting of a film of it on the internet is not some light-hearted joke – it is unacceptable. It sends out a clear message that animal cruelty is OK as long as it is in the guise of entertainment.”

Unaware of the fact that by eating a live fish she was committing a criminal offence under the Animal Welfare Act 2006, and could be prosecuted if caught, Queen’s University Belfast law graduate; Rachel Carey, has become the first trainee solicitor casualty of the #NekNomination craze.

After submitting a video of her dropping a goldfish into her alcoholic concoction and necking it on camera, she provoked disgust across social media platforms for her challenge, where she apparently received an overwhelming amount of death threats and abuse on her Facebook page.

Carey’s #NekNomination 

Amid widespread anger at Carey’s challenge, she issued a kind-of-official apology on her Facebook page  for her actions, adding “I’m young, I was drunk. Not my finest hour.”

Carey’s Facebook apology

It’s understood that Carey has since changed the name on her Facebook account and the video of her #NekNomination was taken down.