Housemates with horrid habits

The worst habits of Belfast’s most horrible housemates, who make sure a house remains a house and not a home

belfast flatmates housemates snapchat

For most students, uni is the first chance to live away from home and enjoy an independent life, and although at first terrifying, the halls and houses you live in will contain some of your favourite memories. We have all committed the odd household sin such as forgetting to clean the dishes or take out the bin, but these habits are just down right irritating.

Who needs to take the bin out when the floor does just as good a job?

The Snapchatter

One moment you and your housemate are having a conversation about the increased price of Boojum when suddenly she whips out her phone to reveal that so and so has sent a photo of themselves sitting on the toilet. Cue the duck face response and the writing of the message ‘that is so funny #telfie’ and then you can return to non-technologically-dominated life again.

Was the conversation that boring that a person on the toilet or someone’s dinner of beans on toast is more interesting? No, it’s just that snapchatters are a new example of awkward socialites who are starting to believe that images are a better way of keeping company than conversation with housemates. And don’t even get me started on the answering of snapchat videos halfway through an episode of How I Met Your Mother.

Caught in the act, a snapchat ‘socialite’ 

The Toilet Roll Recruiter

There is nothing more annoying than being on the white throne, maybe scrolling through the odd Twitter update as you do your business, when all of a sudden you notice the cardboard roll of disaster left on the handle. Some evil housemate has finished the paper and ‘forgotten’ to replace it. Once you sort out the mess and you go to throw the paper carcass away, suddenly all these toilet roll zombies appear from behind the bin, all over the windowsill and balanced on the radiator as if someone is recruiting for the Toilet Territorial Army. But the worst habit of this particular housemate is that moment when they decide to replace the toilet roll; they place the new roll on top of the old one! This. Is. Ridiculous.

The bother of the bog roll 

The Humming Bum

Fair enough we all like to have a little sing along the odd time, it’s a great way of celebrating the end of the day and maybe Simon Cowell is hiding in your fridge. However, some housemates don’t quite understand that music is to be enjoyed, not destroyed.

There are those who play music so loud that Elms Security will be called over to Stranmillis to sort out the issue, those who warble in the shower and then there are the horrendous hummers. They might be humming or singing but either way they don’t know they’re doing it or that everyone else in the house has to witness it. Humming while alone or out of everyone’s way can be dealt with, but humming Christmas songs in February during a gaming session of GTA V is just a crescendo of wrongdoing.

The Wasted Washer

Laundry day is here and you have spent the last hour collecting up the odd pairs of socks scattered around your room and had a knockout match with your bed sheets. You make it to the washing machine, open the door and it’s occupied by someone else’s (now clean) underwear. It is obvious it has been there for a while because the clothes are starting to harden, so what do you do? Fold it up? No, just throw it on the pile of their clothes from last wash day which has started to fester in the corner.

Someone forgot their washing… might just have to report them 

The Cutlery Collector

There is nothing better than experimenting with flavours and ingredients during your time at uni, creating new recipes which will become known as ‘the dish I survived on as a student’. However, the energy, the creativity and the dedication to the cause of student eating is completely wasted when one housemate commits the ultimate sin. It appears that he has taken with him to his room of solitude EVERY piece of cutlery the household owns. Nobody else can detect the location of the greatly needed fork and teaspoons seem to be a thing that only exist during Freshers week. As tensions run high and food starts to cool, suddenly, the cutlery collector appears with so many plates, bowls and cutlery it looks as though he is running his own restaurant. And does he wash them up? No. Of course he doesn’t.

Missing: All Forks. If found please contact The Tab Belfast

So when the time comes for picking future households make sure you don’t make the rookie error of living with someone with one of these habits. It might just lead to a house of horror.