Queen’s Suffer as Southampton Succeed

Queen’s “never really got in the game”

belfast quarter finals qub southampton university challenge

Yesterday we told you to tune in and support QUB in the quarter-finals of University Challenge. Today, you might not be so glad you did.

Jeremy didn’t look very impressed with QUB’s performance

Heart-wrenching news for the academics of Queen’s last night as the chance of winning University Challenge were significantly lessened. Despite putting up a valiant effort the team were sadly trounced by Southampton University, coming away with a final score of 90 points against Southampton’s impressive 290.

However all is not lost as the team, made up of Joseph Greenwood, Suzanne Cobain, Gareth Gamble and Alexander Green can still progress on wards. If a team wins two out of three quizzes then they can continue in the competition- so far Queen’s has one victory and one defeat. They will be competing against a team from Cambridge in the next round- the university which prevented Queen’s from winning the quarter finals in 1997.

Awkward smiles all round on the Queen’s team

Questions broached a wide and diverse range of subjects, with Southampton confidently managing to bat their buzzer faster than the Queen’s team, particularly excelling in topics such as music and Japanese culinary terms.

Joseph Greenwood put their defeat down to hesitancy, saying “There were quite a few questions which I knew but was waiting too long for Jeremy to give more of the question.”Southampton were very on form that day and we were quite unlucky to meet them on an occasion where they were quite confident.” Host Jeremy Paxman confirmed this at the end of the show, stating “Well, you never really got in the game Queen’s”.

Hopefully last night will serve as learning experience for the team and they can focus on winning their next round against old rivals Cambridge. Regardless of the defeat from last night team member Gareth Gamble was still in high spirits and said that to be one of eight teams to make it to the quarter finals was “a great experience”.

The unfortunate final scores…